Re: Designed Designers?

From: Richard Wein (rwein@lineone.net)
Date: Thu Aug 03 2000 - 17:16:37 EDT

    I'm reposting this, as it wasn't relected back to me the first time. Sorry
    if you've seen it already...

    From: Jack Wyatt <jwyatt@earthlink.net>

    >Hi Steven,
    >
    >I read your post in the Calvin reflector and here is my reply. By the way,
    >I am not a member of this forum and therefore can't post replies there. I
    >don't even know if I would be allowed to join or how to do it.

    the words "subscribe evolution" (no quotes) in the body of the message."

    [snip]

    >Jack>> The designer of life on earth could be designed or undesigned it
    >makes no difference. The nature of THIS designer is outside the realm of
    >science. All ID theory is concerned with is showing that evidence for
    >intelligent design on earth is empirically detectable and that ID make more
    >sense of the data from earth's natural history than does a blind
    >watchmaker. And that's enough. The nature of the designer is a side issue
    >and is a metaphysical one.<<

    The problem with this argument is that science cannot compare two hypotheses
    without considering the implications of those hypotheses. The ID hypothesis
    (life on Earth is the result of ID) logically entails one of the following
    additional hypotheses: (a) the first designer (in a possible chain of
    designers) evolved elsewhere in the universe; (b) the first designer sprang
    into existence fully formed; (c) the first designer has existed for all
    eternity. You cannot honestly consider the ID hypothesis without considering
    at least one of these additional hypotheses.

    Since the additional hypotheses are much less parsimonious than the
    hypothesis that life evolved on Earth without intelligent intervention, the
    ID hypothesis carries with it a heavy evidentiary burden. Simply pointing
    out that we don't yet have a detailed non-ID explanation for certain aspects
    of life on Earth (particularly abiogenesis) is nowhere near sufficient to
    meet this burden.

    Richard Wein (Tich)