ID

From: Cliff Lundberg (cliff@cab.com)
Date: Mon May 29 2000 - 13:31:40 EDT

    Bertvan@aol.com wrote:

    >Labeling ID a religious view seems like an attempt to prevent it
    >being mentioned in schools. ID is the belief that the diversity of life and
    >the universe is too complex to have occurred by chance. That is compatible
    >with most religious views, but ID itself makes no religious statement, except
    >to claim the complexity of life is the result of intelligence.

    Rather uncomfortable, to think that the world is controlled by an intelligence
    which may not necessarily be worthy of religious adulation. I wonder how
    many ID advocates really feel that way. ID seems to be religion without
    religion, science without science.

    >If enough people hold this view, I see no harm in school children being
    >aware of it.

    Inevitably, if enough people hold this view, children will be aware of it.
    But that's not saying it should be taught in schools. The proscription
    against teaching the supernatural in school was instituted when 95%
    of the populace in the US were regular church-goers. Why change
    the rule now, when people are less religious?

    --Cliff Lundberg  ~  San Francisco  ~  415-648-0208  ~  cliff@cab.com