ID

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Mon May 29 2000 - 10:50:52 EDT

    Richard:
    >I have no objection to informing children that a tiny minority of scientists
    >hold dissenting views. If that was all the anti-evolutionists wanted, there
    >would probably be no problem. But you're wrong. They're demanding much more
    >than that. Indeed, the Kansas school board removed references to evolution
    >and the age of the Earth from the state education standards. And IDers are
    >trying to have ID taught in public schools.

    >It seems to me you're seriously understating the aims of IDers. I find it
    >hard to believe that Phillip Johnson "favor[s] teaching children orthodox
    >Darwinism"!

    Bertvan:
    Hi Richard. Labeling ID a religious view seems like an attempt to prevent it
    being mentioned in schools. ID is the belief that the diversity of life and
    the universe is too complex to have occurred by chance. That is compatible
    with most religious views, but ID itself makes no religious statement, except
    to claim the complexity of life is the result of intelligence. If enough
    people hold this view, I see no harm in school children being aware of it.
    The Scopes trial was a fight to allow evolution to be discussed in school.
    Today the fights are to prevent any criticism of "random mutation and
    natural selection" from being discussed in school. As for Johnson, I give
    you his own words:

    Bertvan

    Phillip Johnson:
    Here is what I wrote in the Chronicle of Higher Education: "Evolution is an
    important topic, and students certainly should learn the theory and the
    reasons why so many scientists think it is true. It is also a controversial
    topic, and students should learn why."

    Real education requires that students be exposed to dissenting views about
    evolution in their strongest form, rather than merely to some caricature
    written by a scientific materialist. The truly educational approach is to
    teach
    the controversy, presenting students with the evidence and arguments that will
    permit them to make up their own minds.