Re: So what?!

From: Vernon Jenkins (vernon.jenkins@virgin.net)
Date: Thu Nov 06 2003 - 16:54:59 EST

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Dr. Blake Nelson" <bnelson301@yahoo.com>
    To: "Vernon Jenkins" <vernon.jenkins@virgin.net>; <asa@calvin.edu>
    Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 1:42 AM
    Subject: Re: So what?!

    > --- Vernon Jenkins <vernon.jenkins@virgin.net> wrote:
    > (SNIP)
    > > The message is uncovered by the application of
    > > simple logic. It is twofold:
    > >

    > > (1) Whereas we may by faith have _believed_ the
    > > Judaeo-Christian Scriptures to be divinely inspired,
    > > and the unique repository of revealed truth, we now
    > > _know_ this to be so.
    >
    > Is this a superior position to be in for freely loving
    > God?

    But there is no coercion here! You might still choose to believe it all to
    be a miracle of chance. However, for the Christian realist _fact_ must
    surely supercede _faith_ and one's love for the Lord is more than likely
    enhanced.

    > Is Christianity based on faith in the Bible, or faith
    > in Jesus of Nazareth?

    Without the Judaeo-Christian Scriptures we would know nothing about God our
    Creator choosing to enter this fallen world as a man, fulfilling the demands
    of the Law by living a sinless life, offering himself up as a vicarious
    sacrifice for the sins of humanity (past, present and future), rising from
    the dead, and now as our High Priest, sittiing at the right hand of God the
    Father. Clearly, therefore, we first need to believe what we read; the rest
    should follow. I suggest that the phenomena to which I allude must provide a
    positive stimulus to this end.

    > > (2) The widely-experienced adverse reaction to the
    > > phenomena reveals a serious flaw in man's mental
    > > faculties. This of course is completely in line with
    > > biblical expectations - confirming, in particular,
    > > Jer.17:9 (which otherwise might well be considered
    > > unbelievable!)
    >
    > No disrespect intended, but one can use that logic as
    > proof of anything one wants to, no matter how
    > unbelievable to everyone.
    >
    > I am reminded of those who espouse conspiracy theories
    > who argue that the lack of evidence shows how
    > invidious and "good" the cover-ups are.

    But in my experience it is usually the case that evidence (from whatever
    quarter) supporting one's views of this or that is eagerly accepted, and the
    donor thanked. Why should Christians, across the board (including AiG and
    Philip Johnson) treat these findings with revulsion? The data are real - as
    you will no doubt have discovered for yourself. Being a scientist you will
    know these lead, logically, to the first of my conclusions. I hope you will
    agree that there is something extremely odd about this situation. The only
    satisfactory answer to the enigma, I believe, is found in Scripture, as I
    have indicated.

    Vernon
    http://www.otherbiblecode.com