Re: So what?!

From: Dr. Blake Nelson (bnelson301@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Nov 06 2003 - 17:57:07 EST

    --- Vernon Jenkins <vernon.jenkins@virgin.net> wrote:
    (SNIP)
    > But there is no coercion here! You might still
    > choose to believe it all to
    > be a miracle of chance. However, for the Christian
    > realist _fact_ must
    > surely supercede _faith_ and one's love for the Lord
    > is more than likely
    > enhanced.

    But to go back to Walt's point 1) if you do not need
    the proof you offer as proof, then it is certainly not
    necessary to faith, 2) those who do not have faith are
    unlikely to see it as proof.

    Honestly, has your insight converted anyone to belief
    in Jesus of Nazareth?

    (SNIP)

    > Without the Judaeo-Christian Scriptures we would
    > know nothing about God our
    > Creator choosing to enter this fallen world as a
    > man, fulfilling the demands
    > of the Law by living a sinless life, offering
    > himself up as a vicarious
    > sacrifice for the sins of humanity (past, present
    > and future), rising from
    > the dead, and now as our High Priest, sittiing at
    > the right hand of God the
    > Father. Clearly, therefore, we first need to believe
    > what we read; the rest
    > should follow. I suggest that the phenomena to which
    > I allude must provide a
    > positive stimulus to this end.

    You are partially right and partially beside the
    point. There are certainly copious non-canonical
    writings of the church fathers that speak of Jesus.
    The canonical New Testament is the best source of
    primary data about Jesus of Nazareth, but it is not
    the only data.

    My main point was that bibliolatry is a great danger.
    Some of the claims of numerics in the Bible border on
    bibliolatry.

    While scripture is foundational, the distinctive
    characteristic of christianity is not faith in the New
    Testament witness nor the Hebrew scripture witness to
    Jesus of Nazareth but faith in that Jesus of Nazareth.
     The Bible is inseparable from the person. IMHO these
    numerics tend to split the Bible off from Jesus of
    Nazareth who is the center of focus and faith.
    Indeed, it is the living, risen Jesus of Nazareth in
    each of our lives, in our corporate worship, etc. that
    is the primary thing. Too much emphasis on the Bible
    qua document tends toward bibliolatry.

    > > > (2) The widely-experienced adverse reaction to
    > the
    > > > phenomena reveals a serious flaw in man's mental
    > > > faculties. This of course is completely in line
    > with
    > > > biblical expectations - confirming, in
    > particular,
    > > > Jer.17:9 (which otherwise might well be
    > considered
    > > > unbelievable!)
    > >
    > > No disrespect intended, but one can use that logic
    > as
    > > proof of anything one wants to, no matter how
    > > unbelievable to everyone.
    > >
    > > I am reminded of those who espouse conspiracy
    > theories
    > > who argue that the lack of evidence shows how
    > > invidious and "good" the cover-ups are.
    > >

    > But in my experience it is usually the case that
    > evidence (from whatever
    > quarter) supporting one's views of this or that is
    > eagerly accepted, and the
    > donor thanked. Why should Christians, across the
    > board (including AiG and
    > Philip Johnson) treat these findings with revulsion?
    > The data are real - as
    > you will no doubt have discovered for yourself.
    > Being a scientist you will
    > know these lead, logically, to the first of my
    > conclusions. I hope you will
    > agree that there is something extremely odd about
    > this situation. The only
    > satisfactory answer to the enigma, I believe, is
    > found in Scripture, as I
    > have indicated.

    I think revulsion is an overbroad characterization.
    To the extent that anyone has expressed revulsion, I
    think it probably is in response to the assertion that
    such numerics are of foundational importance. I can
    imagine that many people find the profound beauty of
    christian-inspired art to be more inspirational than
    claims of patterns and numerics in the Biblical text.

    What I would suggest, IMHO, is that such things are
    best considered to be filigree and they should be
    judged based on the degree to which they point to the
    center -- that is the living, risen Jesus of Nazareth.
     I think that a lot of people whose response is less
    than enthusiastic about such things is that it misses
    the point or distracts from the point rather than
    point to the point -- Jesus of Nazareth.

    If it points to the Bible qua Bible, the danger of
    bibliolatry is particularly present.