YEC vs rational inquiry

From: John W Burgeson (jwburgeson@juno.com)
Date: Thu Nov 06 2003 - 10:23:40 EST

    Walt wrote, in part: "There are 2 competing world views and two competing
    notions of the consequences
    of "the other guy's" world view. Am I the only one who can sympathize
    with both sides?"

    I think I can sympathize with both sides. But that is not really the
    issue.

    If I have a friend who believes the YEC position, and does so without
    making a "scientific case" for it, IOW he holds that view, as Paul Nelson
    apparently does, on scriptural grounds without claiming scientific
    grounds, then I have respect for that position, and would not spend much,
    if any time, opposing it.

    But the issue is that almost every YEC spokesperson I know claims that
    the YEC position is supported with arguments from science, and in every
    case I have looked at closely, the arguments are bogus. Selective
    selection of observational evidence, arguments from ignorance (God of the
    Gaps), construction of elaborate alternative universe models, etc. It is
    this line of arguments I find unprofessional, and, yes, unchristian. When
    bogus argumentation is combined with direct inferences that to reject the
    YEC claim is to be, at best, a 2nd class Christian, when this
    argumentation includes direct statements that scientists who report data
    inconsistent with the YEC view are liars trying to protect their
    professional reputations, then it becomes not only impossible to respect
    the YEC position but terribly difficult to respect the persons espousing
    those views.

    BTW, the web site http://www.fixedearth.com/ is one of the funniest YEC
    sites I've seen so far. Another spoof, I assume.

    Burgy

    www.burgy.50megs.com

    Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!