Re: YEC vs rational inquiry

From: John W Burgeson (jwburgeson@juno.com)
Date: Sun Nov 09 2003 - 15:23:56 EST

    Ted said: "I apparently missed some references to the website,
    www.fixedearth.com. Like a couple of other geocentrism sites that have
    been around for several years, this is a serious site. More accurately,
    this is what I call "serious nonsense" when I describe it to my students.
     That is, they're dead serious about this nonsense."

    If a parody is really really well done, it becomes impossible to
    distinguish it from seriousness except by its thesis. I've been through
    the site a fair amount now. I am unconvinced you are correct. That is, I
    occupy my usual position of fence-straddling -- unconvinced either way.
    But I stll lean towards the parody explanation.

    AFAIK, the site and the "movement," (if any) seem to be relatively new.
    Which argues for it being a parody. OTOH, (as Tevke often said in
    "Fiddler," the geocentrist Gerald DeBow (sp?) has been able for years to
    hold on to his post at an otherwise respected university, Case.
    Presumably he does not stand alone; there must be others.

    OTOH, again, I respect Ted Davis when he asserts something as forcefully
    as the above.

    OTOH ... .

    Burgy (OTOH = On the other hand. AFAIK = as far as I know).

    www.burgy.50megs.com

    Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!