RE: How and when did we become "men"?

From: Glenn Morton (glenn.morton@btinternet.com)
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 22:24:27 EDT

    Dick Wrote:

    >All that overcast and rain in Scotland has impacted your sense of humor.
    I'll
    >give you a hallmark: animal sacrifice. One of the notations I read while
    >researching this stuff in the Library of Congress was a receipt for
    "unblemished
    >cattle for sacrifice" translated into English from Sumerian. Catal Huyuk
    in
    >Syria was abandoned prior to 7,000 years ago and showed no evidence of
    animal
    >sacrifice.

    I see from this that you haven't budged an inch in relation to observational
    data over the past two years from what you believed in March 2000.
    http://www.calvin.edu/archive/asa/200003/0009.html You believe that the
    image of God originates 7000 years ago. As we shall see your position is
    terribly inconsistent.

    >So if I can pick an activity demonstrating spirituality, that's it. Now we
    can
    >argue about what activity should be used, which was my point. Who is to
    say I
    >can choose, or you can choose?

    Why would I want to argue with your choice Dick? I think it is a great
    choice. So I will show you how far back animal and human sacrifice go!

    First an extended quote from Adam, Apes and Anthropology (by me) p. 67
    discussing bear cults in recent history and recent times anthropologically
    speaking.
    ***begin quote from AAA**********
            Ivar Lissner was a German anthropologist, born in Riga, Latvia. He spent
    several years studying the circumpolar cultures of the N.E. Siberians,
    including the Tungus, Ostyaks, Samoyeds, Gilyaks, Negidals Orochi and Olcha
    tribes. He extended his study to some of the North American Indians and
    Eskimos. Through these studies, he became familiar with the bear cults of
    the circumpolar region. Much of what we know about the bear cults come from
    the people of Northeast Asia whom Lissner studied.
             The bear cults have several features in common. They believe that the
    bear in some way is human. The ancient Finns believed that the bear had a
    human soul.31 The Orochi are equally convinced of this fact.32 Eskimos
    believe that humans and bears can be transformed into one another.33 These
    cultures also have a bear festival at which the bear is sacrificed. The bear
    is viewed as a mediator between God and man.
            Such a festival has been observed in the activities of the Gilyaks, a tribe
    of Northeastern Asians. They believe in a supreme being named Kur, who is
    the essence of goodness.34 This god is invisible and so cannot be depicted
    by image. Kur decides the fate of men. Gilyaks use the bear to send a
    message to God. They capture a young bear and raise him in their village
    for two or three years. The bear, destined for the great bear festival, is
    treated as an honored guest. They feed him, take him for walks on a chain,
    bathe him and treat him as a friend. When the festival day draws near,
    everyone in the village helps in the preparations. A location for the
    sacrifice is prepared and effigies of the minor deities are hung from poles
    in pairs representing a man and his wife. The animal is taken from his cage
    and led to each yurt (or house) in the village. At each yurt the bear is
    greeted with laughter and rejoicing as each family shows its respect to the
    bear. Some men will grab the bear by the sides of its head and kiss it. If
    the bear strikes and claws the man, the scars are viewed as a badge of
    honor. The bear is then led to the favorite fishing holes so that he can
    bless these sites and ensure good fishing for the rest of the year. Finally
    the bear is led three times around the house of the family which raised him.
            The bear is then led to the place of execution and tied to strong posts.
    The families go back to their yurts to celebrate while the narch-en, the
    executioners, prepare the bows and arrows. Invariably, the narch-en are
    guests who have been invited to the festival for the purpose of killing the
    bear. After a while the men, but none of the women come back to the bear and
    sacrifice it. A few wounding shots are fired by young narch-en while their
    young boys throw stones at the bear. Finally the oldest narch-en draws his
    bow and dispatches the animal. The Gilyaks watching this wish the bear a
    good journey to God and tell the bear to inform God how well he was treated
    by the Gilyaks. The reason that the narch-en are strangers or guests is so
    that the bear will think well of the Gilyaks, having been killed by members
    of another tribe. This ensures a good report to God.
            The dead bear is then laid out, head to the west, so that it will not see
    the rising sun before it sees God. The bear is skinned, his meat is cooked,
    and the narch-en are required to eat all the bear. The Gilyaks can only eat
    some soup made from the bear but are forbidden to eat the bear themselves,
    out of respect for having raised him. The feasting may last for days and
    when the guests finally go home they take all the remaining food from the
    bear with them.
            Another tribe, the Ainu of northern Japan, also engages in a bear ritual
    that is quite similar to that of the Gilyaks. The excellent treatment of
    the young bear however goes even a step further. One missionary to the
    Ainu, John Batchelor, reported that he once preached at one end of a hut
    while five women passed a bear cub from lap to lap, each allowing the cub to
    suckle from her breast.35 The very young cub is even taken to bed with the
    family. Prior to the sacrifice, the Ainu would ask the bear's forgiveness
    and say something like, "You were brought into the world for us to hunt. We
    have reared you with great love. Now that you are grown, we send you to
    your father and mother. When you reach them, tell them how good we were to
    you. And come again so that we may sacrifice you again."36 The Finns are
    also reported to have told the bear to relay to God how well treated the
    bear had been and the Chippewas of North America, like the Ainu, would
    apologize to the bear.37

    Figure 11 Side 1 Mas d'Azil plaque
            One of the most interesting items concerning the bear cult is the hint of
    the origin of some of our constellations. After the bear is sacrificed, he
    is known as the "chinukara-gur, which means 'prophet' or 'guardian.'"38
    They also use this same term to refer to the pole star. This is where the
    bear's spirit goes after it is sacrificed. Another Northeastern Asiatic
    tribe, the Udehe, also looked to the pole star for good hunting after their
    yearly sacrifice of a bear. The pole star is in the constellation Ursus
    minor, which is Latin for Little Bear. We also call this constellation the
    Little Dipper. The primeval Mediterranean and European cultures as well as
    the Ainu and Udehe, see that constellation as being associated with a bear.
    Apparently, in the case of the Mediterranean cultures, the goddess Artemis
    was believed to have been a bear at one time. This is one more
    manifestation of the bear cultists' tendency to see bears as human. The
    constellation of the bear was named in her honor.39 The Big Dipper or Ursa
    Major was associated with the Nymph Callisto, whom Zeus placed into the
    heavens in the form of a bear.40 "
    ****end quote from AAA**********

    Mas d'Azil dates around 13000 BC, and they appear to be drawing bear
    sacrifices on their stone plaques!

    This is from http://www.glenn.morton.btinternet.co.uk/rossrev.htm There is
    more below after this extended quotation

    ***begin http://www.glenn.morton.btinternet.co.uk/rossrev.htm ****
    Recent discoveries have revived the debate about how old religion is. It
    certainly appears to be much older than 24,000 years. Ross continues to rely
    on a very outdated Science News articles to support his thesis (Simon, 1981,
    p. 357; Bower, 1986, p. 378-379; Ross, 1991, p. 160 and p. 213 note 29).
    Surely one should be expected to at least look at more recent data. Data
    that has come to light since (and some that existed before) then shows that
    Ross' claim is erroneous.

    There was apparently an altar in Chauvet Cave(dated 31,000 years ago[Balter,
    1996, p. 449). A bear skull was precariously placed on a flat topped stone
    and fire was burned just behind the skull. Chauvet et al, write:

    "A little further on we were deeply impressed by what we discovered. In the
    middle of the chamber, on a block of grey stone of regular shape that had
    fallen from the ceiling, the skull of a bear was placed as if on an altar.
    The animal's fangs projected beyond it into the air. On top of the stone
    there were still pieces of charcoal, the remains of a fireplace. All around,
    on the floor, there were more than thirty bear skulls; now covered in a
    frosting of amber-coloured calcite, they were purposely set out on the
    earth. There were no traces of skeletons. This intentional arrangement
    troubled us because of its solemn peculiarity." (Chauvet et al, 1996, p. 50)

    The lack of bear skeletal parts proves that these were not stray bears that
    got trapped and died in the cave. Their heads were removed elsewhere and
    brought into the cave. [this is evidence of bear sacrifice--grm]

    The fact that 30,000 years ago man was apparently worshipping the bear lends
    credence to the next oldest probable religious site. Except this one was
    built by Neanderthal. At Bruniquel, France, archeologists have excavated a
    square stone structure dating to more than 47,000 years ago (prior to the
    advent of modern man in Europe) in which the Neanderthals burned a bear.