RE: How and when did we become "men"?

From: Shuan Rose (shuanr@boo.net)
Date: Thu Apr 18 2002 - 17:25:41 EDT

      Dear Mike,
      Interesting question. The question of when did Man become Man and what
    that even means has been explored in a number of books by just about every
    major paleoanthropologist over the past decade. Most believe that
    anatomically modern humans began 100,000 years ago , but many insist that
    these people did not start acting like human beings until 50, 000 years
    ago.By this, they mean creating art, spirituality, innovation, &culture.
    Recent findings in central and southern Africa contradict the hypothesis
    that there was such a long haitus between the appearance of modern anatomy
    and the appearance of modern behaviour.
      Another way of putting it would be, When did Man first become a spiritual
    being?We cannot know for sure, but a good starting point may be when humans
    began to exhibit the first signs of spiritual belief.The first signs of
    religious belief appear to come from Neanderthal burials dating back
    100,000 years ago. Some dispute whether these were ceremonial burials,
    however.According to the latest genetic findings , Neanderthals were a
    separate species from Homo Sapiens, so this may not count.
      Evidence of burial ceremonies among Homo Sapiens date to Cro Magnon man
    (c. 30,000-40, 0000 B.C.).Certainly, by the times of the ancient Egyptians
    and Sumerians, there were signs that human communities had long had a rich
    spiritual life.
      I have read Dick Fischer's " In search of Adam"with interest but religious
    feelings among humans appear to predate his date for the appearance of Adam
    and I feel that humans must have known of God ( or the gods) prior to c.
    4000BC.