RE: How and when did we become "men"?

From: Dick Fischer (dickfischer@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 20:57:02 EDT

    Glenn wrote a lot of stuff about slaughtering bears, and ended with:

    >Now, Dick, live by your choice. Animal sacrifice is much older than 7000
    >years ago.

    What was missing from Catal Huyuk was the evidence of animal sacrifice
    seen in excavations of middle eastern civilizations that flourished after 7000
    years ago. There were no alters, no grooved stones to run off the blood so
    it could be collected instead of spilling on the ground and drawing
    flies. It is
    this kind of ritualistic, wholesale animal sacrifice to appease the gods or to
    atone for sins that is missing prior to 7000 years ago.

    I believe the Sumerians picked up on the practice from the Accadians who
    learned it from the patriarchs themselves, maybe all the way back to Abel.

    >As to the comments about humor, you use your sarcasm with YECs as a surgical
    >knife. I see you using it towards others in a fashion that displays a lack
    >of respect for them. Thus, when it is directed my way, I suspect the same
    >attitude lies behind it. Don't give up your day job. Your future as a
    >comedian is limited.

    Ha! Don't I know that! I'm sorry Glenn, it's just hard not to be in good
    humor
    enjoying these blue skies, fluffy white clouds, red sunsets, the temperature
    in the 80's, and the tidal basin replete with cherry blossoms, dogwoods in
    bloom,
    the azaleas resplendent in shades of pink, and violet, and red. It is just
    such a
    beautiful Spring here in Washington, and it puts me in such good spirits it
    is hard
    to take all this stuff seriously.

    Not to worry, every other June the sun comes out in Scotland and everybody
    goes
    fishing that day.

    Dick Fischer - The Origins Solution - www.orisol.com
    "The answer we should have known about 150 years ago"