RE: How and when did we become "men"?

From: Dick Fischer (dickfischer@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 09:48:14 EDT

    Hi Glenn, you wrote:

    > >Okay, it's a case of pick an activity, any activity, out of the air. Then
    >see
    > >when that arbitrary activity first appeared, changing the date every time
    >there
    > >is a new discovery with an earlier date.
    >
    >Besides the useless, silly sarcasm in the above, why on earth would you not
    >consider religious activity in the form of altars to be evidence of well,
    >religion and spirituality? I may be wrong, but I strongly suspect that a
    >good case can be made between spirituality and the building of religious
    >altars. Or do you deny this link?

    All that overcast and rain in Scotland has impacted your sense of
    humor. I'll give
    you a hallmark: animal sacrifice. One of the notations I read while
    researching
    this stuff in the Library of Congress was a receipt for "unblemished cattle
    for
    sacrifice" translated into English from Sumerian. Catal Huyuk in Syria was
    abandoned prior to 7,000 years ago and showed no evidence of animal sacrifice.

    So if I can pick an activity demonstrating spirituality, that's it. Now we
    can argue
    about what activity should be used, which was my point. Who is to say I can
    choose, or you can choose?

    Dick Fischer - The Origins Solution - www.orisol.com
    "The answer we should have known about 150 years ago"