Star Wars & the Synoptic Gospels

From: Steven M Smith (smsmith@usgs.gov)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 10:21:50 EST

    Several recent discussion threads have dealt with the meaning of Biblical
    inspiration (especially 'ASA Perspective') or the formation of the Canon.
    The latest issue of _Books & Culture_ from Christianity Today has a
    fascinating article that compares the formation of Mark, Matthew, & Luke to
    some recent 'fan edits' of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. This may not be
    a highly 'scientific' issue but I believe it relates to one of the
    underlying discussions on this list: How much does the culture in which the
    various parts of the Bible was written influence the 'inspiration' and/or
    'revelation'? You can view this article on line at ...

    ChristianityToday.com - Books & Culture - Synoptic Star Wars
    http://www.christianitytoday.com/bc/2002/002/1.6.html

    Although I am not qualified to argue either for or against the views given
    in this article, I would be interested in the reactions of some of our
    theologically or historically astute list members should they feel led to
    respond.

    Steve

    [Opinions given here are my own and should not be attributed to my
    employer]
     Steven M. Smith, Geologist Office: (303)236-1192
     U.S. Geological Survey Fax: (303)236-3200
     Box 25046, M.S. 973, DFC smsmith@usgs.gov
     Denver, CO 80225
     --USGS Nat'l Geochem. Database NURE HSSR Data Web Site--
      http://greenwood.cr.usgs.gov/pub/open-file-reports/ofr-97-0492/