Re: Star Wars & the Synoptic Gospels

From: Howard J. Van Till (hvantill@novagate.com)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 14:20:12 EST

    >From: "Steven M Smith" <smsmith@usgs.gov>

    > Perhaps the better questions would be ...
    >
    > 1) How much does the culture in which the various parts of the Bible were
    > written influence what was actually written down (i.e. saved for later
    > generations) and what was not (either edited out or not mentioned because
    > of culturally perceived irrelevance)? This question tries to get to the
    > agenda issue that you mention.

    Rough estimate: 100% (where the culture of the day includes the heritage of
    its past)

    > 2) How much does our chosen theological 'theories' of inspiration,
    > inerrancy, infallibility, and authority (as you referred to in an earlier
    > post) color our perceptions of God's revelation that was transmitted
    > through this cultural influence?

    Rough estimate: 100%

    > 3) Which version or versions of The Phantom Menace should be declared
    > canonical? ;^)

    For a community to designate something as "canonical" is to make a choice
    concerning the identity of that community. What documents will be used to
    define the community and to settle arguments between factions within that
    community? A community has every right to make that choice, but I think it
    should then be willing to acknowledge that it has made that choice as a
    human community. Nothing wrong with candor; candor deserves respect.

    Howard Van Till