Re: Star Wars & the Synoptic Gospels

From: Steven M Smith (smsmith@usgs.gov)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 14:13:22 EST

    Howard replied to my post
    <<From: "Steven M Smith" <smsmith@usgs.gov>

    > How much does the culture in which the various parts of the Bible was
    written influence the 'inspiration' and/or 'revelation'?

    Suggestion: Very little influence. The question of inspiration or
    revelation concerns the ultimate source of the text's content. Cultural and
    historical context have a strong influence on the conceptual vocabulary,
    agenda, and literary form of the text, independent of the ultimate
    source.>>

    Howard;
    Good point. My words were poorly chosen. Perhaps the better questions
    would be ...

    1) How much does the culture in which the various parts of the Bible were
    written influence what was actually written down (i.e. saved for later
    generations) and what was not (either edited out or not mentioned because
    of culturally perceived irrelevance)? This question tries to get to the
    agenda issue that you mention.

    2) How much does our chosen theological 'theories' of inspiration,
    inerrancy, infallibility, and authority (as you referred to in an earlier
    post) color our perceptions of God's revelation that was transmitted
    through this cultural influence?

    3) Which version or versions of The Phantom Menace should be declared
    canonical? ;^)

    Steve
    [Opinions given here are my own and should not be attributed to my
    employer]
     Steven M. Smith, Geologist Office: (303)236-1192
     U.S. Geological Survey Fax: (303)236-3200
     Box 25046, M.S. 973, DFC smsmith@usgs.gov
     Denver, CO 80225
     --USGS Nat'l Geochem. Database NURE HSSR Data Web Site--
      http://greenwood.cr.usgs.gov/pub/open-file-reports/ofr-97-0492/