Re: Star Wars & the Synoptic Gospels

From: Steven M Smith (smsmith@usgs.gov)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 17:37:27 EST

    Howard wrote:
    <<From: "Steven M Smith" <smsmith@usgs.gov>
    > 2) How much does our chosen theological 'theories' of inspiration,
    > inerrancy, infallibility, and authority (as you referred to in an
    > earlier post) color our perceptions of God's revelation that was
    > transmitted through this cultural influence?

    Rough estimate: 100%>>

    Can you define the +/- uncertainty levels for your "rough estimate"? :^)
    I just had to ask since I am currently doing a peer review of a 300+ page
    manuscript and am working in my extreme "attention to minute detail" mode.
    Thanks for the subtle humor.

    <<
    > 3) Which version or versions of The Phantom Menace should be
    > declared canonical? ;^)

    For a community to designate something as "canonical" is to make a choice
    concerning the identity of that community. What documents will be used to
    define the community and to settle arguments between factions within that
    community? A community has every right to make that choice, but I think it
    should then be willing to acknowledge that it has made that choice as a
    human community. Nothing wrong with candor; candor deserves respect.>>

    Now we are getting to what I found so fascinating with the Books & Culture
    article. The Star Wars "community" is in the process of designating it's
    canon "documents" or film versions and it is a contentious and uncertain
    process. In our modern culture, this even includes the threats of
    copyright litigation. My brief forays into Early Church History suggests
    that the designation of the Christian Community Canon (3rd? or 4th? century
    A.D.? I don't remember off hand.) was no less contentious. Now I firmly
    believe that God was intimately involved in the ultimate designation of our
    Canon but I find it revealing that He allowed that event to happen through
    a thoroughly human process of strife and ecclesiastical litigation.

    I wonder ... is that canonization process really completed or do we still
    have more work to do? To answer my own question, I would lean toward the
    view that we are still in the midst of the process. Now I'm not advocating
    the addition or extraction of anything from the Bible nor am I advocating
    that we ignore the traditions, thoughts, and theologies of the past
    generations. It simply comes down to this: If the Canon isn't made
    relevant to each generation and to the insights brought on by new knowledge
    then it becomes moribund.

    Steve
    [Opinions given here are my own and should not be attributed to my
    employer]
     Steven M. Smith, Geologist Office: (303)236-1192
     U.S. Geological Survey Fax: (303)236-3200
     Box 25046, M.S. 973, DFC smsmith@usgs.gov
     Denver, CO 80225
     --USGS Nat'l Geochem. Database NURE HSSR Data Web Site--
      http://greenwood.cr.usgs.gov/pub/open-file-reports/ofr-97-0492/