Response to: What does the creation lack?

From: Peter Ruest (pruest@pop.mysunrise.ch)
Date: Wed Nov 14 2001 - 11:11:48 EST

    David Campbell wrote:

    DC >> Is there any particular reason to assume that God made these
    choices
    and injected new information in the course of creation history, rather
    than
    having created everything so as to bring about these events? Is there a
    way
    to tell the difference? How much difference is there, with God
    sustaining,
    maintaining, cooperating with, etc. all that happens?<<
    PR>The crucial point is the selection of one of many possible events
    during
    the development of the biosphere. This is a concrete suggestion about a
    possible biologically and informatically meaningful mechanism, whereas
    "God
    sustaining, maintaining, cooperating with, etc. all that happens" is
    hardly
    more than a label for a general principle with which all theists will
    agree.<
    DC>> The former would require something similar to the hidden variable
    interpretation of quantum events, if I have the terminology correct.
    However, the hidden variable determining the outcome of the event could
    be
    God's foreordination rather than anything theoretically accessible by
    physics.<<
    PR>As far as I know, "hidden variables" of quantum mechanics refers to
    hypothesized, unknown constants of nature. If they exist, they
    presumably
    were installed by God once at the beginning. On the other hand, God's
    "hidden options", which I suggest, are something completely different:
    these
    refer to God ad hoc selecting a given one among several possible
    outcomes
    for an event not accessible to scientific observation. This would
    happen
    very often during the history (of the universe and) of life.<
    DC>> There is also some correlation with the Calvinist-Arminian
    spectrum, an
    issue that we probably are not predestined to settle here.<<
    PR>There is no connection at all with the theological concept of
    predestination.<

    DC: Polytheists generally portray gods responding to what happens rather
    than fully sovereign. Even among monotheists, it is quite common to
    have a
    god of the gaps theology in which God is seen as absent from certain
    processes. Thus it is an important principle to have established. Once
    we
    agree on that, it raises the question of the difference between His
    dealing
    with hidden options versus ordinary events. This brings us to the
    question
    of predestination. Did God predestine the outcome of the hidden
    outcomes,
    or do they represent His responses to the course of events? The latter
    would seem to suggest non-omniscience.
    There is also a question of the means. Is there any reason to prefer
    the
    idea of God directly causing a particular mutation to happen when needed
    over God designing the configuration of the Big Bang so that a cosmic
    ray at
    the exact time and place needed would produce the necessary mutation?
    He is
    equally involved in the process in either case.
    Supposing that there are no unknown physical factors that influence
    radioactive decay, is there a way to distinguish between God
    foreordaining
    that a certain atom will decay at a certain moment, which He brings
    about at
    the necessary time, and your model of hidden outcomes?

    I hope this clarifies my comments.

        Dr. David Campbell
        Old Seashells
        46860 Hilton Dr #1113
        Lexington Park MD 20653 USA
        bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com

    PR: I believe God is fully sovereign, and that he is never "absent from
    certain processes". You seem to suggest that if God responds to the
    course of events, he didn't know everything beforehand. I believe he
    does know everything beforehand, but he still responds to certain events
    when they happen, not in the sense of being surprised by them, but in
    the sense of applying his remedy at the time needed only. I suggest that
    one such case is his response to free decisions by the creatures he
    gifted with free will for certain decisions. This is implied by many
    biblical texts. Of course, he knows these decisions beforehand, but this
    does _not_ imply he predestined them. This may be difficult for us to
    understand, but we must be conscious of the fact that God is outside of
    time, in a different dimension (which englobes all of the created
    dimensions): he sees past, present, and future at the same "time".

    A different case is the outcome of events in which decisions of
    creatures endowed with free-will have no part. I believe God is in full
    control of all such events, but this does not necessarily imply every
    detail was foreordained from the beginning (although it could be). I
    think God from the beginning set up the way things usually happen (the
    "laws of nature"), including the fact that the outcome of certain
    occurrences (like mutations) is influenced by quantum events or other
    processes which are not scientifically accessible. In most cases he
    would not have cared about the exact outcome and did nothing more to
    guide it. But in some other cases he deemed important he would have
    guided the process, such that a certain precise mutation occurred at a
    given place and time. Whether he did it by providing a specific cosmic
    ray at the big bang already, or by providing for the selection at the
    time needed in some other way (both possibilities would be "hidden
    options"), probably doesn't make much difference - although the second
    mechanism would seem to be much simpler and therefore more reasonable to
    assume. The Scripture tells us God creates ([bara'], i.e. out of
    nothing) human individuals born by natural processes. In my
    understanding, this implies that he is constantly doing such hidden
    selections (of genotype, epigenetic parameters, spiritual
    characters...).

    Such selections imply the introduction of additional information. This
    introduction of the information happens at the time needed, no matter
    when the Creator decided what information to introduce and when. But the
    information certainly was not stored in the physical universe since the
    big bang.

    Peter