RE: Glenn's comments

From: Shuan Rose (shuanr@greenmount.org)
Date: Wed Nov 14 2001 - 10:01:07 EST

    HI Glen,
    I have recently been reading stuff from Johanson(Lucy's discoverer) who
    holds that Homo Erectus, our supposed ancester who lived a million years
    ago, was not very humanlike(no speech, questionable about using fire, a
    scavenger not a hunter). I also have read Richard Leakey, who thinks that
    Homo Erectus had rudimentary speech and a simple hunter-gatherer lifestyle,
    but who would be skeptical (I think ) about Homo Erectus having tents and
    clothing. You say that Homo Erectus was much more advanced than even Leakey
    would allow. What do other paleoanthropologists think?