Response to: What does the creation lack?

From: Peter Ruest (pruest@pop.mysunrise.ch)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 05:06:13 EST

    Apparently, I failed to send this posting yesterday.

    "tikeda@sprintmail.com" wrote:

    > Howard commented
    > [...see my last post for background...]
    > >Here is where the Ruest approach (similar to the approaches of Wm.
    > >Pollard and Bob Russell) technically avoids the idea of "violating and
    > >overpowering" by proposing that God surreptitiously chooses from among
    > >several possible outcomes the particular one that advances things in
    > >the desired direction. What the system in question does is within its
    > >capabilities.
    > [...]
    >
    > Yours and George's comments lead me to ask: What's "outside" a system's
    > capabilities in QM?
    >
    > With QM, it is within the "capabilities" of a slug to tunnel from Earth to
    > Mars. Certainly a slug's wave function extends beyond the Martian orbit.
    > It's no different for having a rock tunnel into the air above an unfortunate
    > slug. These things don't happen terribly often (read: never) but it is a
    > finite possibility. I don't see how tweaking the improbable timing of say,
    > the decay of an unstable potassium isotope near a chromosome to induce a
    > desired mutation is qualitatively different from tunneling an invertebrate
    > to Phobos: It's all just a matter of choosing between possible outcomes.
    > The only difference is quantitative: i.e. variation in relative
    > probabilities or masses of the objects involved.
    >
    > Whether a change is effected by altering the likelihood of particular
    > event or momentarily replacing the "standard laws" of physics, we're
    > still talking about rewriting the rules in midstream and altering the
    > "natural" timeline. We may say that these examples do not violate standard
    > QM but they do fly in the face of what is generally observed. For example,
    > if something can direct the choice of possible outcomes for tunnelling
    > events, couldn't it power an engine by directing the tunnelling of gas
    > molecules to the inside of a sealed air tank?

    The idea of God's "hidden options" involves neither altering likelihoods
    nor momentarily replacing the "standard laws" of physics, but a
    purposeful selection among different events, all of which are physically
    possible. Extremely low probabilities would not normally characterize
    such an individual event, but result from linking together a whole
    series of them, e.g. in the same molecule of DNA (without the
    intermediates being subject to natural selection).

    Peter