Meaning of "fine-tuning"

From: Doug Hayworth (hayworth@uic.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 19 2000 - 14:03:31 EDT

    In my admittedly cursory reading on the Anthropic Principle (AP), I have
    been uncomfortable with the use of the term "fine-tuning". This term seems
    to connote that God (on this list, we are all agreed that if there is
    anything that can be called fine tuning, it is God who does it) somehow
    adjusts something that was formerly only crudely "tuned". Conceptions of
    the AP that require this meaning do not appeal to me, since they imply that
    there is some background or foundational order in the Creation that is less
    than perfect or complete. As a Christian, I would prefer the term
    "finely-established" or "finely-created" to imply that God established in
    his initial creation a confluence of orderliness brought about his purposes
    in genesis of the cosmos, our solar system, earth, and its creatures. I
    don't think God had to adjust things (i.e., fine-tune) later.

    In practice, how do philosophers and apologists of the AP use the term
    "fine-tuning"? What do you folks think?

    I seem to remember that Howard Van Till addressed aspects of the AP at the
    Waco conference. If so, perhaps he has some wisdom here.

    Doug