Re: Meaning of "fine-tuning"

From: Dawsonzhu@aol.com
Date: Thu Oct 26 2000 - 20:09:33 EDT

    Moorad Alexanian wrote:

    << Perhaps you can help me in the following. The creation
    was good. Imperfect people like us see it today as not good.
    What happened in between? Was there a place, Paradise,
    where unfallen man lived, while the rest of creation had
    already fallen? Did Satan fall first and marred the
    creation, the Bible indicates that? Can we ever conceive
    of creation before the fall of man or Satan?

    If I am supposed to take the passage on Adam and Eve as a
    literal historic event, rather than a lesson about personal
    responsibility and accountability (which is more the point
    even if it is in fact a genuine historical event), then I
    would surmise that evil came into the world when Adam
    consciously (and possibly deliberately) acted out in
    rebellion toward God and subsequently tried to cover it
    up and finally tried to blame Eve for his own folly.

    As I might understand it, "evil" takes on a variety of
    forms. Often, "evil" refers to a conscious intentional
    act of immorality. Hence, a rock cannot be considered
    "evil", but the same rock can be *used* by a conscious
    creature to commit an act of evil (where up to now for
    certain, the only such conscious creatures in the known
    universe are human beings.) The other major place we
    sometimes speak of evil is when we see suffering on
    the part of good people: an evil fate. Many evil fates
    are still the consequences of our (collective) fallen
    nature, such as when we have no sensitivity to our fellow
    human beings and ignore their human needs, or even when
    we ourselves ignore obvious health problems. However, there
    are yet other evils that remain an age old paradox and evoke
    that question "why?". To this last category, I don't think
    a simple minded literal interpretion of the bible offers
    any *better* answer to the question. It remains, and probably
    will remain, a difficult and perplexing matter of the human
    condition.

            What can be gained from my death,
            from my descent into the Pit?
            Can the dust praise You?
            Can it declare our faithfulness?
            Hear, O Lord, and have mercy on me;
            O Lord, be my help
                (Psalm 30:10)

    From God's perspective, God can know all this, and know it
    before the foundation of the world (and implicitly, the creation
    of the universe). Nevertheless, because we have free will, we
    make the choices we do, and sometimes (often?) we rebel. We
    make our own choices. They are completely ours, and we own them.
    Only God knows what will become of it all in regards to the
    ultimate question.

    Therefore, I still reject your assertion that Howard's model
    is "deistic". Indeed, it seems to me that you make God less
    sovereign than Howard does over the creation because you
    *insist* on a "god" acting entirely in *your* own time
    reference frame. That would be a god who acts in history,
    but it is a tin god of a puny universe and surely not even
    the best human attempt at understanding and appreciating
    how truly vast the sovereignty of God *is*. Yet even all
    this will someday be found to be so far from truly
    appreciating what Christ's death and resurrection means.

    You may have the last word on this.

    By Grace alone do we proceed,
    Wayne