Re: Meaning of "fine-tuning"

From: Dawsonzhu@aol.com
Date: Tue Oct 24 2000 - 11:17:13 EDT

    Gordon Brown wrote:

    << At the other end of the spectrum from Johnson we have the Robust
     Formational Economy Principle which may be esthetically appealing to us
     scientists because of our sense of what is beautiful, but is beauty a
     valid basis for a theological doctrine? Characterizing episodic
     creationism as God fixing what he didn't get right in the first place
     doesn't accurately reflect the thinking of many such creationists who
     assume that the Lord had a purpose in acting in this way even if they
     can't say what that purpose was.

    Your comment about "esthetically appealing" reminds me a an article
    in the "back pages" of the July issue of the American Physical
    Society Newletter (APS News).

    "Copernicus and the Aesthetic Impulse" by Owen Gingerich.

        Let me remind you of what Galileo said nearly a
        century later, when the mater was still far
        from settled: "I cannot admire enough those
        who accepted the heliocentric doctrine despite
        the evidence of their senses." I believe that
        Copernicus relied on aesthetic principles,
        "ideas pleasing to the mind," and that such
        concepts are exceedingly powerful but highly
        treacherous in physical reasoning. Until
        technology marches on to provide empirical
        grounding, the aesthetic ideas must be regarded
        as dangerously seductive, possibly sheer quicksand
        for the unwary. I'll describe two aesthetic
        principles that Copernicus endorsed, and I'll
        show how our modern evaulation essentially
        turns upside-down the initial reception of
        Copernicus' "De revolutionibus", his life work
        that was finally published in the year of his
        death, 1543.

        What Copernicus had to offer were two quite
        independent aesthetic ideas. One was that
        celestial motions should be described in
        terms of uniform circular motions, or
        combinations or thereof. The unending,
        repeating motion in the cirle was compellingly
        suitable for the heavenly movements, where
        corruption and decay were never found.
        There was something almost sacred about
        this proposal, and it appealed strongly
        to the sensitivities of the sixteenth century.
        Unfortunately this beautiful idea was wrong,
        dead wrong. It was not dumb --- it was in
        fact the most intelligent way to start
        approximating the motions of the heavens,
        but in Renaissance celestial mechanics it
        was destined to be a dead end.

        Copernicus' other aesthetic idea is quite
        independent of the aesthetic requirement
        of circular and uniform motion. It is
        the great idea that makes copies of the
        first edition of De revolutionibus nowadays
        estimated at auction at over half a million
        dollars. This was, of course, the heliocentric
        arrangement of the planets. But to the
        sixteenth-century mind, this idea was highly
        suspect. To begin with, it required new
        physics. Building a new scaffolding to
        replace the neatly dove-tailed Aristotelian
        physics would require more than a generation
        of inspired work. As Tycho Brahe said, "The
        Copernican doctrine nowhere offends the principles
        of mathematics" --- that is, aesthetic idea number
        one in the fine --- "but it throws the earth, a
        lazy, sluggish body unfit for motion into action
        as swift as th aethereal torches."

         . . .

    The article goes on to point out that technology
    (accurate and detailed observational data) needed
    to be available before this idea could be firmly
    accepted by the majority of astronomers of that
    time period. After that, of course it was "obvious".

    Anyway, your remark about "esthetically appealing"
    prompted me to recall this. In many ways, the whole
    issue of evolution is a rerun and it may be a very
    long time before the Church forgives Charles Darwin. I
    think it was about 1984 or so that the Catholic Church
    finally forgave Galileo????

    by Grace alone do we proceed,
    Wayne