Re: Where was the ark

From: PHSEELY@aol.com
Date: Sun Jun 11 2000 - 20:12:10 EDT

    To my comment

    << Ararat is a country (Urartu in the Assyrian texts). Gen 8:4 is saying
     that
    > the ark came to rest in the mountains in the country of Ararat. Adana is
    > maybe 200 miles SW of the country of Ararat. If the text said the ark
     landed
    > in the "the Rockies of Montana," you could scarcely suppose it meant that
    > the ark landed in the Rockies of Colorado or Alaska because geologically
     they are on the same mountain chain>>

    Glenn replied,

    << I will gladly discuss factual data so I will respond to this. It is a fact
     that no one knows exactly what region Ararat referred to. Davis Young
     provides a wonderful list of Ark landing sites. He says:

     "Moreover, despite substantial discrepancies among various reports of the
     location of the landing site (see map, p. 33), no writer seems to have
     doubted the existence of the ark remains or to have puzzled at the thought
     of a great boat on a mountain." Davis Young, The Biblical Flood, Grand
     Rapids: Erdmanns, 1995), p. 20

     He then states:
     "Julius Africanus acknowledged multiple landing site traditions, he affirmed
     that the 'ark settled on the mountains of Ararat, which we know to be in
     Parthia, but some say that they are at Celaenae of Phrygia, and I have seen
     both places." Davis Young, The Biblical Flood, Grand Rapids: Erdmanns,
     1995), p. 20

     Celaenae is in Western Turkey. The map on page 33 shows the Western Turkey
     site mentioned by Africanus, Mount Baris in what is now Georgia, Adiabene in
     Iran,Mount Qardu, and Agri Dagh (the present Mt. Ararat). While I agree that
     most of the Kingom of Ararat is within Eastern
     Turkey, I haven't seen anyone produce a shred of evidence that the
     Mountains of Ararat are equated with Ararat. I cite the case of
     Appalachia and the Appalachian Mountains as a modern example.
     Appalachia is a region of the US (mosty south of Pennsylvania and north
     of Georgia. The Appalachain mountains go on up into Quebec and Nova Scotia.

      So your attempt to define my solution out of the realm of possibility by
     limiting Ararat to a small region flies in the face of the known spread of
     ancient claims for where the Ark landed. All of these were believed to be
     within the mountains of Ararat. That is a fact.>>

    Julius Africanus as well as the other sources cited by Young are all very
    late Christian and Islamic traditions. They are, accordingly, virtually
    irrelevant. It is the mention of Urartu in the ancient Assyrian texts and
    the archaeology of Urartu which tell us where that country was in the mind of
    the writer of Gen 8:4. This still does not tell us which mountain in Urartu
    the ark landed on; but, the location is somewhere in the country of Urartu.

    At one point the kingdom of Urartu expanded and may have come reasonably
    close to Adana, though never really reaching to it. But, the Babylonian
    kingdom also expanded to take in Israel-Judah in 586 BC; but, that does not
    mean that a phrase like "the mountains of Babylonia" could then refer to
    Jerusalem.

    The "mountains of Ararat (Urartu)" refers to mountains within the boundaries
    of the country of Urartu; and that country centers around Lake Van. (Maps 3,
    4, 146 of The Macmillan Bible Atlas). I doubt you can find any ancient Near
    Eastern scholar who would say the phrase encompasses Adana.

    I have to go now. A friend is taking me to hear Don Chittick explain "The
    Dinosaur Mystery." I bet you wish you could get in on this. :-)

    Best wishes,

    Paul