Where was the ark

From: glenn morton (mortongr@flash.net)
Date: Sun Jun 11 2000 - 04:33:59 EDT

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: <PHSEELY@aol.com>
    To: <mortongr@flash.net>
    Cc: <asa@calvin.edu>
    Sent: Sunday, June 11, 2000 6:31 AM
    Subject: Re: The place of history in Christianity

    > Hi Glenn,
    > Given your schedule, I will leave you with a fact:
    >
    > << Actually, since I published that it was pointed out to me the
    > inconsistency,
    > so I now do hold that the ark landed on the shores of Turkey. The
    Mountains
    > of Ararat which is the mountainous region in Eastern Turkey, geologically
    > extend from eastern Turkey to Adana. Geologically that entire system is
    one
    > mountainous region. Thus by landing there near the region of Adana one is
    on
    > the same mountain chain. It was Bill Hamilton who got me to change on
    this
    > point. I always try to eliminate my inconsistencies the best that I can.
    >>

    > Ararat is a country (Urartu in the Assyrian texts). Gen 8:4 is saying
    that
    > the ark came to rest in the mountains in the country of Ararat. Adana is
    > maybe 200 miles SW of the country of Ararat. If the text said the ark
    landed
    > in the "the Rockies of Montana," you could scarcely suppose it meant that
    > the ark landed in the Rockies of Colorado or Alaska because geologically
    they
    > are on the same mountain chain

    I will gladly discuss factual data so I will respond to this. It is a fact
    that no one knows exactly what region Ararat referred to. Davis Young
    provides a wonderful list of Ark landing sites. He says:

    "Moreover, despite substantial discrepancies among various reports of the
    location of the landing site (see map, p. 33), no writer seems to have
    doubted the existence of the ark remains or to have puzzled at the thought
    of a great boat on a mountain." Davis Young, The Biblical Flood, Grand
    Rapids: Erdmanns, 1995), p. 20

    He then states:
    "Julius Africanus acknowledged multiple landing site traditions, he affirmed
    that the 'ark settled on the mountains of Ararat, which we know to be in
    Parthia, but some say that they are at Celaenae of Phrygia, and I have seen
    both places." Davis Young, The Biblical Flood, Grand Rapids: Erdmanns,
    1995), p. 20

    Celaenae is in Western Turkey. The map on page 33 shows the Western Turkey
    site mentioned by Africanus, Mount Baris in what is now Georgia, Adiabene in
    Iran,Mount Qardu, and Agri Dagh (the present Mt. Ararat). While I agree that
    most of the Kingom of Ararat is within Eastern
    Turkey, I haven't seen anyone produce a shred of evidence that the
    Mountains of Ararat are equated with Ararat. I cite the case of
    Appalachia and the Appalachian Mountains as a modern example.
    Appalachia is a region of the US (mosty south of Pennsylvania and north
    of Georgia. The Appalachain mountains go on up into Quebec and Nova Scotia.

     So you attempt to define my solution out of the realm of possibility by
    limiting Ararat to a small region flies in the face of the known spread of
    ancient claims for where the Ark landed. All of these were believed to be
    within the mountains of Ararat. That is a fact.

    glenn

    Foundation, Fall and Flood
    Adam, Apes and Anthropology
    http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/dmd.htm