Re: Methane in the late Archean

From: PHSEELY@aol.com
Date: Wed Jun 07 2000 - 14:06:49 EDT

    Adam wrote

    << As is a necessity when pre-modern psychology states our thoughts are in our
     hearts, that the Earth is flat, that the Sun moves around us, that hail has
     storehouses like the winds, and so forth...

     I think Glenn's scenario tries to get geo-history straight but I'm not sure
     his hermeneutic works when faced with all the other pre-scientific trappings
     of Scripture. Do we defend the rising of the Sun to guarantee the rising of
     the Son?

    Right on.

    <<Who knows what the order is in Job? I'm not sure the book is even by pure
    monotheists since some passages are awfully suggestive of Sun-worship [Job
    37:21,22.] Is Job about Yahweh or Shamash?>>

    I thought you were correlating Job with Gen 1; but, you are right, Job could
    have a different order or more likely no order in mind. Job 37:21 sounds
    like it is speaking of the sun, but v. 22 says it comes "out of the north"
    not likely to refer to the sun. I would have to have something clearer than
    that before believing a canon which overall eschews idolatry includes a book
    giving Shamash any billing.

    to my

    >There may have been more than one idea of what the firmament was made of.
    > metal or rock. But, the rock concept seems to dominate historically. The
    > rock, however, is transparent, crystal, looking like "ice" Ezek 1:22.
    (The sapphire seems to be the throne above the firmament, Ez 1:26)>

    You replied,

    <<But then see Exodus 24:10...>>

    I have neglected this Scripture because it does not contain the Hebrew word
    for "firmament" so those who do not want to admit the solidity of the
    firmament reject it; but, the "brickwork" mentioned is certainly a reference
    to the firmament for its position beneath the feet of God is parallel to its
    position in Ezek 10:1. The stone of which it is made, however, is described
    not as crystal , but as sapphire (probably lapis lazuli). Perhaps the idea
    is that the sapphire color of the throne of God above comes through the
    translucent crystal, making it look like lapis lazuli. Or, it could just be
    a variation. In intertestamental times, some Jews were still wondering what
    the firmament was made of, and were pondering if of clay, copper or iron.
    So, the only sure thing is that everyone agreed it was solid.

    <<A good point. But then how do we apply any of the pre-scientific moral
    philosophy of St Paul, especially since his "conscience" idea came from the
    Greeks?>>

    I do not know the complete answer to this very good question; but, I spent a
    year studying the way Jesus used Scripture; and I came to the conclusion
    that, like the rabbis, he looked for patterns of revelation, or we might say
    topics that are individually woven together. I also like to check empirical
    reality since God is the creator. I am confident that we can also inquire of
    the Spirit even though our relationship to God is not as pure as that of
    Jesus. And, what has the Spirit said through the ages to the Church. In
    short, I see in Scripture itself, and perhaps in the Council at Jerusalem's
    approach most clearly, that for theological questions we should look not just
    to Scripture (which the Council brought in only at the end), but also to
    empirical reality (experience), and the voice of the Spirit--both to us and
    to the Church as a whole.

    Best wishes,

    Paul