evidence and logic

From: Cliff Lundberg (cliff@cab.com)
Date: Fri Jun 09 2000 - 15:31:03 EDT

    Susan Brassfield quoted (someone):

    >This description would be incomprehensible to Darwin since he was unaware
    >of genes and genetic drift. The modern theory of the mechanism of evolution
    >differs from Darwinism in three important respects:
    > 3.It postulates that speciation is (usually) due to the gradual
    > accumulation of small genetic changes. This is equivalent to
    > saying that macroevolution is simply a lot of microevolution.

    So evidently the modern theory of evolution does not differ from Darwin's
    gradualism, it actually affirms it, despite the finding that inheritance is
    particulate and doesn't blend, and despite the need for the symbiotic
    theory of cell origin to counter irreducible-complexity arguments, and
    despite the growing suspicion that the Cambrian explosion is just what
    it looks like, a blatantly non-gradual event. ID theorists can rejoice that
    the straw man of gradualism is being propped up by their opponents.

    >For if there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing
    >of life as in hoping for another and in eluding the implacable grandeur of
    >this one.
    >--Albert Camus

    How many times are we supposed to look at this quote? Just wondering.

    --Cliff Lundberg  ~  San Francisco  ~  415-648-0208  ~  cliff@cab.com