Re: evidence and logic

From: Susan Brassfield (Susan-Brassfield@ou.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 09 2000 - 16:19:45 EDT

    >Susan Brassfield quoted (someone):

    Laurence Moran:
          [?-] Biologist. T.o. regular and author of FAQs on "Evolution fact and
          theory", "Evolution definition", " {Dmitri Kousnetsov}", "Modern
          Synthesis", and "Genetic drift".

    >>This description would be incomprehensible to Darwin since he was unaware
    >>of genes and genetic drift. The modern theory of the mechanism of evolution
    >>differs from Darwinism in three important respects:
    >> 3.It postulates that speciation is (usually) due to the gradual
    >> accumulation of small genetic changes. This is equivalent to
    >> saying that macroevolution is simply a lot of microevolution.
    >
    >So evidently the modern theory of evolution does not differ from Darwin's
    >gradualism, it actually affirms it, despite the finding that inheritance is
    >particulate and doesn't blend, and despite the need for the symbiotic
    >theory of cell origin to counter irreducible-complexity arguments, and
    >despite the growing suspicion that the Cambrian explosion is just what
    >it looks like, a blatantly non-gradual event. ID theorists can rejoice that
    >the straw man of gradualism is being propped up by their opponents.

    please take note of the word in parentheses--"speciation is (usually) due
    to the gradual accumulation of small genetic changes." In other words,
    sometimes evolution is not gradual at all, as you correctly point out.

    >>For if there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing
    >>of life as in hoping for another and in eluding the implacable grandeur of
    >>this one.
    >>--Albert Camus
    >
    >How many times are we supposed to look at this quote? Just wondering.

    I'm beginning to get a groundswell of people who are sick of looking at it.
    It's automatically inserted when I hit the "send" button and I never see it
    unless I read something echoed back to me. I have a wonderful Einstein
    quote that I can replace it with. Perhaps it will be a while before you get
    sick of Albert.

    Susan

    The most important human endeavor is the striving for morality in our
    actions. Our inner balance and even our very existence depend on it. Only
    morality in our actions can give beauty and dignity to life.
    --Albert Einstein

    http://www.telepath.com/susanb/