Life

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Fri Jun 09 2000 - 09:48:56 EDT

    Hi Chris,
    Considering that you have posted this twice, I assume you are eager for a
    response. There are only two reasons for these discussions. One, to try to
    understand each others position, or two, to try to make a point that you
    haven't heard expressed before. You are admittedly a materialistic
    determinist. That is your privilege, and please believe me when I say I have
    no desire to impose another view upon you. If you have a desire to impose
    materialism upon those who feel differently, I doubt you will succeed, even
    if you learned to speak more politely. Most adults have a world view and
    philosophy not easily changed.

    >Chris
    >So, you're claiming that the simplest possible living thing has free will,
    >consciousness, intelligence, purpose, creativity, spontaneity and choice?
    >Is there *any* evidence of this incredibly general claim?

    Bertvan:
    To me it is obvious these are the characteristics that distinguish life from
    non-life. I believe your position is that free will doesn't really exist for
    humans, that our actions are merely the mechanical result of neural
    connections in the brain. To me that denies experience and common sense,
    but I realize perfectly intelligent people hold that position, and for them,
    no evidence to the contrary would be acceptable.

    >Chris
    >This is bull-crap.
    snip

    >Chris
    >This is bull-crap to the fourth power, unless you have some bizarrely and
    >arbitrarily restricted concept of evolution (or of observation). Maybe you
    >live imprisoned in a cave and can't observe it, but many of the rest of us
    >most certainly *can* observe it.
    snip
    >you
    >have been pushing this general line of utterly indefensible irrationality
    >for well over a year now, and I finally lost patience with it. It's utterly
    >indefensible because you have not been able to provide even *one* fact that
    >supports it, and because anyone who has not been living in your cave with
    >you knows from personal experience (or *can* know, with a bit of thought)
    >that you are just spouting nonsense because you refuse to think, you refuse
    >to question the incredible mass of *assumptions* that you keep
    >regurgitating on this list, supported each time with the same incredible
    >falsehoods and the same incredibly *bad* (grotesquely illogical or
    >blatantly unfounded) arguments.

    >Your posts are often a waste of bandwidth on this list because you rarely
    >if ever get out of the tiny little orbit of circular reasoning that you
    >live in. You are apparently almost completely unable or unwilling to do
    >*any* kind of serious analysis of concepts, ideas, or theories, so you just
    >keep repeating packages of cliches, like college kids who pick up the
    >latest intellectual fads and go with them, but without bothering to learn
    >how to understand the concepts involved.

    Bertvan:
    Even many scientists and people who are convinced random mutation and natural
    selection are the power behind evolution claim they are not strict
    materialists. Most people acknowledge the existence of phenomena that
    science can not presently explain. (If science doesn't remain rigidly
    dogmatic, some of these phenomena might be explained in the future.) So your
    materialism may be a minority view. Minorities have at times been able to
    impose their will and view upon the majority, but it must be a tenuous
    position. Your frustration might be an increasing problem. Good luck.

    Bertvan
    http://members.aol.com/bertvan