Re: Scientists changing their philosophy to fit the data.

From: Loren Haarsma (lhaarsma@ursa.calvin.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 09 2000 - 09:32:48 EDT

    Chris Cogan objected to my statement that:

    > >2) A majority of scientists believe that methodological naturalism is a
    > >ground-rule for science, a strong line of demarcation. They believe
    > >that any hypothesis about physical events or historical developments
    > >which include the possibility of extra-natural causation must
    > >_a_priori_ be rejected as unworthy of "scientific" consideration.

    I'm afraid I can't participate right now in a debate regarding
    methodological naturalism in science. Too many other things to do.
    But I can at least point you to an old post of mine, if you're
    interested in some thoughts about the interplay between science and
    meta-scientific committments when confronting puzzling events:
    http://www.calvin.edu/archive/asa/199702/0110.html

    Loren Haarsma
    Calvin College