Re: Life

From: Steve Clark (ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 14:35:15 EDT

    I typed my previous hastily. I omitted the word, not, from my last
    paragraph and it changes the meaning. The correct reading should be this:

    Most philosophers would disagree with your notion that there is only one
    way of knowing. Also, "proof" of what we know is no guarantee that it will
    NOT later be replaced with a new truth. I can't prove that I am not now
    dreaming, but I know that I am not. I cannot prove that I love my cat, but
    I know that I do. Those are one way of knowing. Then, I can do an
    experiment in the lab to see if a gene carries a specific mutation when
    cells behave abnormally. That is another way of knowing.