Re: ID

From: Tedd Hadley (hadley@reliant.yxi.com)
Date: Tue May 30 2000 - 15:09:57 EDT

    Bertvan@aol.com writes
      in message <7e.586e8ed.26652739@aol.com>:

       I'm getting the impression that you and I read the same material
       but you come away from it believing you've read intolerance,
       scientific bigotry and a hidden agenda. Maybe that's
       why we have such a hard time understanding the other's viewpoint.

    > Tedd:
    > >I suppose you're characterizing this quote as intolerant.
    > >Could you explain how and where it displays that?
    >
    > Bertvan:
    > The two quotations were meant to show a contrast in attitude.
    > The physicist is not only tolerant of dissent, he regards it
    > essential for healthy development of ideas. The biologist is
    > quick to ridicule any interest or attitude he doesn't share.

       The label "ridicule" is highly subjective. I don't see ridicule,
       I see pointed criticism:

       "That's the difficulty with the "consciousness" game. Just how
        do you play it, and where's the goal? Is there a goal at all -
        or even a game? Define what a problem is in terms accessible
        to a layman, and you have the beginnings of a science. If you
        can't, you have nothing but a series of opinions."

       "My feeling about most people in that field is that they'd find
       life more interesting if they continued to do what most of them
       started by doing - getting their feet wet by doing experimental
       work."

       "All of a sudden you forget that science is the art of the
       answerable and you begin to speculate about things that basically
       lie outside science altogether."

       It is not the attitude that is important, it is and always has
       been the VALIDITY of the CRITICISM. The facts are what is important,
       not whether or not Jones is sticking his tongue out at Nick Humphrey
       as he writes this.

    > Tedd:
    > >According to Jones, the kinds of approaches he doesn't like
    > > * don't or can't define the problem
    > > * don't do experimental work
    > > * speculate about things that can't, even in theory, be proven
    > one way or the other
    >
    > > Which great physicists of the last century ignored Jone's advice
    > > and adopted all three of these characteristics in their
    > >aproaches to science?
    >
    > Bertvan:
    >
    > I would guess all scientists who add anything important to
    > knowledge struggle to define the problem.

       Then your answer must be "None of them." and you
       recognize that Jones' criticism is valid.

       The question might then be how this applies to studies of
       consciousness. Is it difficult to define it? It certainly
       appears so. It is possible to understand even what the goal or
       "game" of consciousness is? I don't know and I sympathize with
       Jones' criticism. How can we make any progress understanding
       consciousness if we can't come up with a simple definition of
       it? Without that, we, the scientists, the philosophers, the laymen,
       might as well be speaking different languages.

    > All of them who
    > changed the status quo in any way speculated about things that
    > couldn't at the moment be proved.

       That's different from Jones' implication that such things
       couldn't even be proved in theory --"things that lie outside
       science altogether". Jones' makes it clear that he's not
       specifically criticizing Humprey, but I think he's indicting a
       lot of the philosophical work that has been done on
       consciousness.

    > All speculation about evolution
    > is something that can't be proved, one way or the other - and
    > maybe never will be. The belief that evolution can be explained
    > naturalistically is a speculation that can't be proved one way
    > or the other. I would have thought all scientists speculated
    > about things that can't, even in theory, be proved, but
    > apparently some do not.

       This is all quite incorrect if one uses "prove" in the scientific
       sense of beyond reasonable doubt. There's no reason in theory
       we can't come to fully understand every process involved in
       life's billion year history.