Suspicions aroused...

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Mon May 29 2000 - 05:18:17 EDT

    Wesley:
    >If proponents of some idea claimed to be scientific should
    >ever resort to the legislatures and courts to prevent any
    >competing idea from being discussed in the classroom
    >(Tennessee v. Scopes), cast vague doubts about a competing
    >idea (various "textbook disclaimers"), or to mandate the
    >teaching of their own view as if scientific (Arkansas Act 590
    >and similar), I would urge students to be skeptical of
    >whatever was being advanced politically rather than through
    >scientific peer review.

    Hi Wesley,
    Then Darwinists could ensure that ID was never mentioned in peer review
    articles, right? That might have been the strategy of the high school
    mentioned below, but I think it backfired. Its spring, and I wonder how many
    students would have bothered with supplementary reading in biology? Maybe a
    half dozen would have taken a look at a couple. Now, since the articles have
    been banned, you can bet all the students have run off copies from the
    internet and are clandestinely bootlegging them around behind the gym. And
    not just biology students! Kids who couldn't stand to dissect a dead frog
    have their curiosity aroused.
    Since the local paper is running a poll on the matter, even the parents are
    acquiring a little biology education.

    Long after ID is the majority assumption in the US, England will be stuck in
    the dark age of "random mutation and natural selection". Why? England
    doesn't have an ACLU.
    Below are excerpts from the newspaper article:
    Bertvan

    http://www.skagitvalleyherald.com/daily/00/may/28/a1dehart.html
    Skagit Valley Herald, Sunday,

    School officials throw extra science materials out of class
      Teacher has been at center of local evolution debate.

    Recently DeHart, the science teacher accused two years ago by the
    American Civil Liberties Union of bringing God into the classroom, found
    some new evidence pointing out alleged flaws in research done to support
    Darwin's theories. And DeHart wanted to introduce that evidence to his class.

    Principal Beth Vander Veen refused to allow DeHart to introduce five
    articles -- all from mainstream publications -- to supplement the biology
    course curriculum during the last three weeks of class when the students
    study evolution.

    Vander Veen had to leave town Friday after deciding to reject DeHart's
    choice of supplemental material and couldn't be reached for comment. She
    had made her decision to deny that additional reading material after having
    the five articles reviewed by the school district's lawyer and by the head
    of the high school science department.

    DeHart has been in the public eye since 1998, when the ACLU accused him of
    teaching the theory of intelligent design. That theory assumes the world is
    too complex to be anything but the plan of an intelligent agent, which the
    ACLU believes borders on teaching creationism in a state-funded, public
    school. When Superintendent Rick Jones took over in 1998, he told DeHart to
    stop teaching intelligent design.

    The five articles that DeHart wanted to introduce this month do not promote
    the intelligent design theory. The articles were rejected, in part, because
    several
    of them were not peer reviewed, or widely accepted by the scientific
    community,
    Jones said. One article was an opinion piece from the journal "The Scientist."

    Jonathan Wells, who has a Ph.D. in molecular and cell biology and is a
    senior fellow at the Discovery Institute, authored two of the articles
    DeHart wanted to share with his class to supplement the evolutionary unit
    of his 34-week biology course.

    "Basically, these articles have to do with science and there's no
    intelligent design related on these works. But these put doubts into the
    kids' minds.
    one of the articles DeHart wanted his class to read was written by Stephen
    Jay
    Gould, a zoology and geology professor at Harvard University and a noted
    authority on Darwin's theories.

    DeHart maintains that he has no problem with evolution. "Evolution is
    true," DeHart said. But he said questions have been raised when some of
    Darwin's theories are examined under the microscope.

    "And it's only when both sides (of the Darwin debate) are looked at can we
    come to a clearer understanding," DeHart said.

    DeHart's supporters say they see no reason why the high school biology
    teacher can't be allowed to introduce articles into the classroom which
    might further the debate on Darwinian theory.

    "We don't want to cut evolution short," said businessman Jerry Benson. "We
    just want to add a day or two of something else."

    Benson is treasurer for the pro-DeHart group called Skagit Parents for
    Scientific Truth in Education. Last week, Benson presented petitions to the
    Burlington-Edison School Board with the signatures of 1,800 people
    throughout Skagit County who supported what DeHart was teaching in his
    classroom.

    Two of DeHart's students also presented signatures to the board from 145
    students who wanted to show support for their biology teacher.

    The local paper is running the following poll on its front page:

    Do you think Burlington-Edison High School biology teacher Roger
    DeHart should be allowed to present materials in class which present flaws in
    evolution theory?