When peer review is really peer pressure

From: MikeBGene@aol.com
Date: Mon Apr 17 2000 - 22:08:48 EDT

    Bill Demsbki has recently set up the Polanyi Center as part
    of Baylor University. He has just put together a first class
    conference exploring ID and naturalism that has attracted such
    widely respected scientists as Simon Conway Morris, Christian
    DeDuve, Alan Guth, and Mark Ptashne. The conference was
    clearly not one-sided, but was inclusive of all perspectives
    (reflecting the academic value of diversity). Yet the science
    and philosophy faculty at Baylor seem intent on shutting
    down the Polanyi Center. First, see:

    http://www.baylor.edu/~Lariat/Archives/2000/20000413/art-front01.html

    Here's an excerpt, where it appears that the would-be censors are
    whining that the administration is not listening to them:

    >The Polanyi Center, formed last fall, studies creationism, or the
    >intelligent design of nature, depending on the point of view taken.
    >Sloan said that although representatives of philosophy and other
    >sciences approached him with the concern that the Polanyi Center
    >would be detrimental to Baylor's reputation, it was not a unanimous
    >decision."

    Pay careful attention to the *political* motivation - a concern for
    Baylor's REPUTATION. But it gets much clearer. See:

    http://www.accesswaco.com/auto/feed/news/local/2000/04/10/955344993.22074.6595
    .0026.html

    Here are some excerpts:

    >Skeptical science faculty at Baylor University are questioning
    >the campus host behind a star-studded conference next week on
    >naturalism - the belief that all phenomena can be explained in
    >terms of natural laws.
    >Critics are taking aim at the Michael Polanyi Center, a think
    >tank created without fanfare last year by Baylor's administration
    >to bridge the gap between religion and science. Several faculty
    >members, however, charge its hidden agenda is legitimizing
    >the discussion of creationism in classrooms.

    >"These people are creationists," said Richard Duhrkopf, an
    >associate biology professor. "They define that as someone
    >who takes a literal interpretation of Genesis. We define it
    >as someone who invokes nonscientific explanations
    >for natural processes."

    Very illuminating. The Polanyi Center is to be dismantled for
    fear of a "hidden agenda." To support this political attack,
    the label of 'creationist' is put on ID (which is like labeling
    anyone who believes in national health care as a communist).
    Why the need to rely on this label? Duhrkopf later lets the
    cat out of the bag:

    >Duhrkopf said Dembski and Gordon have no choice
    >but to deny they're creationists.
    >"If they labeled themselves creationists, no one would
    >give them the time of day," Duhrkopf said. "But the idea
    >they're trying to get into schools, Intelligent Design, is
    >creationism. There's no scientific basis for what they say.
    >We're talking about people who are not scientists."

    Now it comes together. Even though Christian DeDuve
    was able to distinguish between creationism and ID at the
    Naturalism conference, Duhrkopf knows better. But it is
    clear to me that he seeks to put the creationist label on the Center
    in order that "no one would give them the time of day."

    But consider this:

    >Even those blasting the Polanyi Center admit it put together
    >a conference featuring marquee names. It doesn't promise to
    >be an absolute celebration of Intelligent Design. Weinberg,
    >for example, has been quoted as calling religion "an insult to
    >human dignity."
    >"Such a conversation has a place at Baylor University,"
    >said psychology and neuroscience professor Lewis Barker.
    >"But not the Polanyi Center." Barker calls the center and
    >those behind it "stealth creationists.""

    Several decades ago, politicians worried about stealth
    communists and even set up witch-hunts to ferret them
    out. It would seem the scientific community is capable of
    being just as emotive and propagandistic. But notice that
    while Barker and others did not put on a conference that
    has drawn the people Dembski drew, they complain that
    such a conference should really belong to them. Who are they
    trying to kid? They don't want a conversion. They complain
    because someone took their preacher's podium from them.

    Doesn't it concern any non-ID person that these scientists
    are trying to shut down academic freedom? If the Polanyi
    Center cannot exist at Baylor, where can it exist? The same
    scientific community that complains ID does not produce research
    in scientific publications also works vigorously to exclude ID
    from any means of conducting this research. Like a business
    monopoly, the scientific community seems intent on squashing
    any attempt to get ID off the ground. It is not the world and
    its data that are the stumbling blocks to ID, but the political
    atmosphere engendered by the anti-ID critic's attempt to
    maintain their monopoly through the tools of the Establishment.

    And here's the kicker:

    >Providing a home to advocates of Intelligent Design runs counter
    >to Baylor's history and endangers the future of its students, Barker said.
    >"Abner McCall (Baylor's 10th president) once said that there is
    >no such thing as Christian chemistry," Barker said. "They should
    >leave us alone and let us teach our students unadulterated science
    >so they can continue to get into medical school and graduate school.
    >If Baylor's reputation is damaged, it's the students who will suffer.
    >What comes to mind when you hear Bob Jones University? If they
    >can tar a presidential candidate who just sets foot on that campus,
    >they can do the same thing to our students."

    Yes, those "objective scientists" are worried about the REPUTATION
    of their university. They engage in conspiracy-theory type paranoia
    to paint ID as creationism, use rhetoric to elevate it to something
    that "endangers" the university, and then scare people by trying to
    equate Bill Dembski with Bob Jones University. These "objective
    scientists" have not a shred of evidence that the Polanyi Center
    is bothering them or will ever interfere with their ability to get
    kids into medical school or graduate school. They are simply
    reacting to their own simple-minded and hysterical labelling,
    but, of course, are too "objective" to realize this.

    But throughout all this, what really catches my eye is this
    concern for their "reputation." This concern goes a long way
    in explaining why the scientific community is not able to seriously
    contemplate and weigh questions about natural history and ID.
    When a concern about reputation shapes how we approach questions,
    we're not dealing with that idealistic notion of objection science.
    We're not talking peer review, we're talking high school-like peer pressure.

    Mike