Re: When peer review is really peer pressure

From: Richard Wein (tich@primex.co.uk)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 19:07:38 EDT

    From: MikeBGene@aol.com <MikeBGene@aol.com>

    >Don't the faculty at Baylor realize that the way to stop an erroneous
    >idea is not to silence it? If someone has a plausible idea that promises
    >X and Y, then give it the chance to deliver.

    The issue (as far as I'm concerned) is not whether ID is plausible, but the
    fact that a theory with no scientific evidence is being touted as science.
    In other words, it's pseudoscience. I can quite understand why real
    scientists don't want to have their university associated with it. IDers are
    not being silenced -- they can and do express their views through other
    channels. Why should they be given a privileged platform for their ideas?

    >>Incidentally, I agree with Mike that there are grounds for a "suspicion of
    >>design". But a suspicion is not enough to form the basis for scientific
    >>theory.
    >
    >I agree. A suspicion is grounds only for a continued investigation that,
    >over time, has the potential of generating a scientific theory.
    Furthermore,
    >the only ones likely to conduct that investigation are those who have
    >the suspicion. Thus, I would not expect my suspicions to dictate how
    >others do their science. Unfortunate, however, is that science cannot
    >provide an arena for a serious consideration of that suspicion.

    I would have no objection to a credible programme to search for evidence of
    ID (although I personally think that would be a waste of time because I
    don't think they'd find any). Similarly, I have no objection to genuine
    scientific research into the paranormal. But this is not what we see in the
    case of ID. Where is the research programme? As far as I can see, there is
    none. All the IDers are doing is generating and propagating specious
    arguments.

    >>The problem is that Dembski and his supporters base their theory on
    >>a suspicion, and then want to make it "the dominant perspective in
    science"!

    >I don't think they would agree that their case amounts only to a
    >suspicion.

    Yes, you're right. For them, it's not a suspicion but a conviction.

    >But keep in mind I speak only for myself. I am not
    >interested in what is to be "the dominant perspective in science."
    >I'm simply interested in satisfying the curiosity generated by
    >my suspicions.

    Glad to hear it. ;-)

    Richard Wein (Tich)
    See my web pages for various games at http://homepages.primex.co.uk/~tich/