Re: When peer review is really peer pressure

From: MikeBGene@aol.com
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 00:57:35 EDT

    Steve,

    I think we need to clear up some things. You accuse me of greatly
    disliking the conservatism of science. How you got this idea is
    beyond me, but this is simply not true. I never claimed any type
    of conspiracy against religion, so why you brought that claim up
    is equally as mysterious. I never argued anywhere that science
    should embrace ID nor did I argue that the science faculty at
    Baylor should embrace the Polanyi Center. In my mind, all of this
    is clearly off-topic, so let me try to bring this back to the
    concerns I actually raised.

    You write:

    >What you have described in you last few posts on this topic is
    >behavior that is intrinsic to science.

    I hope not. For what we have seen are scientists and philosophers
    relying on misleading and inflammatory rhetoric in order to shut down
    the Polanyi Center. This is shameful activity for a group of people
    who would like to be considered scholars. Let's keep some facts in
    mind.

    First, the Baylor administration did not attach the Polanyi Center to
    a science department or division. I would support the faculties' concern
    if indeed this ID think tank was fused with a science department. But
    it was/is not.

    Yes, Dembski and Gordon adopt very controversial positions many
    might view as a "threat to science." But if this is justification for
    banning the Polanyi Center from academia, why stop there? Many
    feminist scholars, among the university, have promoted the thesis that
    science is a patriarchal system that rapes nature. Post-modernists
    call into question some of the most basic assumptions for doing science.
    The animal rights movement, that has sought to ban animal experimentation,
    is often alive-and-well on many campuses and has leaders who are
    part of academia. Shall we extend our witch hunt further or are we
    selectively biased in what witches we seek to hunt out?

    As I said, this is an issue bigger that our opinions about origins. This is
    an issue of academic freedom and whether such freedom depends on
    sharing certain "correct" views of the world. Regardless of one's views
    about Dembki's views, the level of his arguments and the nature of his
    academic background are not obviously inferior to the average faculty
    member of any other university. His opinions are controversial, yes. So
    what? Isn't that what the university setting is supposed to be about? If you
    people want to all go on record as being in opposition to academic freedom,
    then be my guest and say so. We can explore this intolerance of other views
    in more depth.

    Secondly, the faculty is not required to embrace the Polanyi Center.
    Nor does anyone claim they are obligated to agree with the views of
    Dembski and Gordon. And the existence of this Center has no
    influence whatsoever on the science curricula at the college. The
    university is supposed to be a place that engenders tolerance and
    diversity. What is interesting is that while the Christian faculty
    of Baylor still seem to live in an age where intolerance and
    conformity are values, the Polanyi Center hosted a first-rate
    conference that was tolerant, diverse, and inclusive.
    The Polanyi Center asks questions that draws scientists from
    around the world with all sorts of views and embodies the
    true spirit of academia. On the other hand, the ID critics
    rely on the use of misleading labels and inflammatory rhetoric
    with the objective of shutting down any meaningful dialog.

    Thirdly, the issue of "reputation" keeps coming up in these
    news articles. This is a gold mine to explore, as a concern for
    reputation is purely subjective and is tied to socio-political
    considerations. Is the faculties' concern at Baylor unique to
    this school, or is there something deeper here about how
    science is practiced that might be relevant to the overall
    issue that is debated?

    Steve:

    >We all should keep in mind that science is a very conservative enterprise
    >and you are seeing this in action at Baylor. While such conservatism runs
    >the risk of rejecting novel truths, it also strongly protects against
    >falsehoods being accepted as truth. The alternative to this conservative
    >behavior of the scientific collective is to lower the barrier of what is
    >accepted to be true, which would increase the risk of sanctioning ideas
    >that are false.

    Ami nailed it on the head: " We should be conservative as to what is
    accepted, but not what is explored."

    You are defending the actions of the status quo to eliminate any
    attempt to *explore* an unpopular view from within the walls of
    academia. You are defending intellectual segregation, rabid intolerance
    of another's viewpoint, the use of cheap rhetoric to serve a political
    agenda, and an attack on academic freedom rationalized with an
    "ends justifies the means" approach. At least, that is how I see it.
    If I am wrong, perhaps you can clear this up with something more
    relevant than an argument about the conservative nature of
    science.

    Mike