Whose 'science'?

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Tue Feb 15 2000 - 07:34:02 EST

    >>Bertvan
    >>Hi Cliff. Is the explanatory power of ID greater that that of naturalism,
    >>which also appears to claim the ability to explain everything?

    Cliff:
    >Science doesn't explain everything, it just hopes to.

    Bertvan:
    Maybe this is a difference between materialists and non materialists. I,
    personally have no particular HOPE that the inexplicable exists. In fact, I
    take great delight in those materialist explanations which appear reasonable
    to me, and would continue to ponder possible materialistic explanations for
    any inexplicable phenomena - while at the same time acknowledging the
    possibility that none may exist. Many of us were delighted with "random
    mutation and natural selection as an explanation of macro evolution" - as
    long as the theory appeared reasonable to us.

    Bertvan
    >>Could materialism adjust to the possibility that abiogenesis will never be
    >>explained?

    Cliff:
    >Sure, if you could explain why this must be so.

    Bertvan:
    I should have said "the possibility that abiogenesis MIGHT never be
    explained". Abiogenesis may well have a materialists explanation. I just
    wouldn't be eager to invest my energy in a search for one. The Princeton
    Anomalies Lab claims to have produced tiny, but statistically reproducible
    measurements of ESP phenomena. If their results became more widely
    accepted, how would a materialist adjust?

    Bertvan