Re: Whose 'science'?

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 16:39:35 EST

    Reflectorites

    On Sun, 13 Feb 2000 10:12:57 -0800, Cliff Lundberg wrote:

    [...]

    >SJ>[Note the clever use of words by Scott contrasting atheism with young-Earth
    >>creationism, as though they are the only two alternatives. By admitting that
    >>there is a "debate between theism and materialism" she "legitimate", tacitly
    >>concedes they are opposites. But then she says any such debate between the
    >>two "shouldn't take place in the classroom", even thought materialism is
    >>to continue to be taught unopposed "in the classroom".]

    CL>Intramural battles are the nastiest of all. But where are the battles between
    >YEC and ID? I've never read of any such debates at all. This is why people
    >think it's the same old religionists doing their same old thing.

    I have previously documented some "battles between YEC and ID" in
    Henry Morris and Ken Ham's attacking ID for setting aside Bible-science
    issues. And there has been a long-standing "battle" between leading ID
    advocate Hugh Ross the ICR. Moreover, there are major battles between
    TE/ECs and ID, both of whom are "religionists".

    The relative lack of "battles between YEC and ID" is because ID doesn't
    collide with YEC (despite Morris & Ham's confusion on this point). ID is
    at a more basic level than YEC issues. ID is concerned merely with the
    lower-level question of the existence of an Intelligent Designer. YEC is
    concerned with higher-level questions about the interpretation of Genesis
    1-11 which are not the province of ID.

    As Mike Behe points out, ID can co-exist with either a young or an old
    Earth because *that* a Designer conceived and executed His designs is
    essential to ID, not how long it took Him to do it:

    "The third reason why Miller's argument misses the mark is actually quite
    understandable. It arises from the confusion of two separate ideas-the
    theory that life was intelligently designed and the theory that the earth is
    young. Because religious groups who strongly advocate both ideas have
    been in the headlines over the past several decades, much of the public
    thinks that the two ideas are necessarily linked. Implicit in Ken Miller's
    argument about pseudogenes, and absolutely required for his conclusions,
    is the idea that the designer had to have made life recently. That is not a
    part of intelligent-design theory. The conclusion that some features of life
    were designed can be made in the absence of knowledge about when the
    designing took place. A child who looks at the faces on Mt. Rushmore
    immediately knows that they were designed but might have no idea of their
    history; for all she knows, the faces might have been designed the day
    before she got there, or might have been there since the beginning of time.
    An art museum might display a statue of a bronze cat purportedly made in
    Egypt thousands of years ago-until the statue is examined by
    technologically advanced methods and shown to be a modern forgery. In
    either case, though, the bronze cat was certainly designed by an intelligent
    agent." (Behe M.J., "Darwin's Black Box", 1996, p227)

    CL>If 'materialists' are the enemies of ID, who are the friends of ID? Will the
    >average religious person embrace the agnostic view that 'Well, it might
    >have been God, it might have been green scaly space aliens, who knows?'

    The "friends of ID" are those who are prepared to consider the possibility
    that the existence of an Intelligent Designer may be *empirically
    detectable* in the universe.

    I cannot speak for the "average religious person", because it is so vague as
    to be virtually meaningless. But I believe I can speak for the average Bible-
    believing Christian. I do not think that the average Bible-believing Christian
    will have any problems with ID once he/she understands what it is.

    ID, from a Christian perspective, is type of pre-evangelism apologetics. In
    the past, Christians could talk to their non-Christian friends and neighbours
    about God and Christianity and they understood from the background of a
    basically Christian culture what the Christian was talking about.

    But today, in our post-Christian culture, a Christian cannot assume that
    those who he wishes to share Christianity with does understand what God
    and Christianity are. The job today is becoming what it was when
    Christianity first encountered non-Christian cultures which did not even
    have a clear understanding of God. In such cases there is a need to get
    right back to basics and build up some common ground in a shared
    understanding of God as Creator.

    There is in fact an example of this in the New Testament. The Apostle
    Paul, when he first encountered the polytheistic philosophers of Athens,
    sought to find some common ground in their belief in an ultimate but
    "Unknown God" (Acts 17:22-23), and Paul used arguments from nature
    (Acts 17:24-27), and their own philosophers (Acts 17:28-31) to build on a
    common minimum understanding of God. While ID is not itself Christian
    apologetics, its arguments can be used by Christian apologists.

    CL>'ID'--is it really that good a term? In common parlance people speak of
    >'designer clothes' and 'designer furniture', meaning custom creations
    >by established artisans. In this sense, 'designer universe' sounds silly,
    >it implies a universe that is particularly chic.

    I am not aware that ID theorists use the term "designer universe". But even
    if they did, I think modern people are not *that* shallow that they cannot
    think of an Intelligent Designer of the universe without getting it confused
    with the latest "chic" fashions!

    CL>Maybe the 'I', the 'intelligent' is the important thing. So a more logical
    >construction, making 'intelligent' the substantive part, might be
    >'designing intelligence'. But that's no good, because it shifts the focus
    >back to 'who or what is this intelligence?' I must presume that ID
    >advocates much prefer a construction that puts the emphasis on the
    >inexplicability (thus far) of complexities in nature, and avoids an
    >emphasis on what they are really about.

    Not really. The "Intelligent" part of "Intelligent Design" is primarily to
    contrast it with *unintelligent* "apparent design":

    "The confusion centered on what the adjective "intelligent" is doing in the
    phrase "intelligent design." "Intelligent," after all, can mean nothing more
    than being the result of an intelligent agent, even one who acts stupidly. On
    the other hand, it can mean that an intelligent agent acted with skill,
    mastery, and ­clat. Shermer and Prothero understood the "intelligent" in
    "intelligent design" to mean the latter, and thus presumed that intelligent
    design must entail optimal design. The intelligent design community, on the
    other hand, means the former and thus separates intelligent design from
    questions of optimality. But why then place the adjective "intelligent" in
    front of the noun "design"? Doesn't design already include the idea of
    intelligent agency, so that juxtaposing the two becomes an exercise in
    redundancy? Not at all. *Intelligent design* needs to be distinguished from
    *apparent design* on the one hand and *optimal design* on the other.
    Apparent design looks designed but really isn't. Optimal design is perfect
    design and hence cannot exist except in an idealized realm (sometimes
    called a "Platonic heaven"). Apparent and optimal design empty design of
    all practical significance.." (Dembski W.A., "Intelligent Design is not
    Optimal Design", Metaviews 013, 2 Feb 2000.
    http://listserv.omni-list.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind00&L=metaviews&D=1&O=D&F=&S=&P=1744)

    "Essentially, the same amino acid chain being found also in other animals
    and even in plants, we have a case in histone-4 where more than 200 base
    pairs are conserved across the whole of biology. The problem for the neo
    Darwinian theory is to explain how the one particular arrangement of base
    pairs came to be discovered in the first place. Evidently not by random
    processes, for with a chance 1/4 of choosing each of the correct base pairs
    at random, the probability of discovering a segment of 200 specific base
    pairs is 4^200, which is equal to 10^-120. Even if one were given a random
    choice for every atom in every galaxy in the whole visible universe the
    probability of discovering histone-4 would still only be a minuscule
    ~10^40." (Hoyle F., "Mathematics of Evolution", [1987], Acorn
    Enterprises: Memphis TN, 1999, pp102-103).