Cambrian speculation

From: Susan Brassfield (Susan-Brassfield@ou.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 15 2000 - 13:01:03 EST

    Someone on this list (probably Cliff) stated that biologists were "not
    allowed" to speculate on the origin of the Cambrian Explosion. (The
    original post is on my home computer, sorry)

    and then today this:

    Stephen Jones, I think:
    >>But again to be fair to the evolutionary biologists there has been
    >>some speculation about "mechanisms explaining the Cambrian Explosion".
    >>Stanley has speculated it was due to the emergence of predators:

    Cliff:

    >Some speculation, but none that the establishment has any use for.

    I'd like to know the basis for your original remark and the one above.
    Obviously "God did it" is not an avenue of speculation simply because it
    could never be verified even if everyone believed it to be the case. And
    obviously you think there *is* a "naturalistic" explanation, because you
    proposed this one:

    >FTR, my own notion is that segmentation is the key to the Cambrian
    >Explosion. The macroevolutionary mechanism forming the gross
    >morphology of vertebrates and arthropods is simply siamese-twinning
    >(aka parabiosis), a process through which trains of segments can be
    >quickly generated, followed by mutations causing loss and distortion
    >of segments--a process which was drastic at first but soon became
    >more gradual and Darwinian.

    I did a google search for "Cambrian Explosion Research" and came up with 7
    pages of results. Below is a tiny sample. It's a thriving area of research.
    Why do you keep saying it's not?

    Susan

    This is from a 1995 Time Magazine Article:
    http://ucaswww.mcm.uc.edu/geology/huff/When_Life_Exploded.html

    "What could possibly have powered such a radical advance? Was it something
    in the organisms
    themselves or the environment in which they lived? Today an unprecedented
    effort to answer
    these questions is under way. Geologists and geochemists are reconstructing
    the Precambrian
    planet, looking for changes in the atmosphere and ocean that might have put
    evolution into sudden
    overdrive. Developmental biologists are teasing apart the genetic toolbox
    needed to assemble
    animals as disparate as worms and flies, mice and fish. And paleontologists
    are exploring deeper
    reaches of the fossil record, searching for organisms that might have
    primed the evolutionary
    pump. "We're getting data," says Harvard University paleontologist Andrew
    Knoll, "almost faster
    than we can digest it." "

    this is from Science Daily
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1999/01/990121073459.htm

    "Large Gene Study Questions Cambrian Explosion

                       The ancestors of major groups of animal species began
    populating Earth
                       more than 600 million years earlier than indicated by
    their fossil remains,
                       according to the largest study on the subject using gene
    sequences, recently
                       completed at Penn State. The research suggests that
    animals have been
                       evolving steadily into different species for at least
    1200 million years,
                       which challenges a popular theory known as the Cambrian
    Explosion that
                       proposes the sudden appearance of most major animal
    groups, known as
                       phyla, 530 million years ago. A paper describing the
    research will be
                       published in the January 22, 1999, issue of the
    Proceedings of the Royal
                       Society of London (Series B) by Penn State Undergraduate
    Student Daniel
                       Y.-C. Wang, Postdoctoral Fellow Sudhir Kumar, and
    Associate Professor of
                       Biology S. Blair Hedges. "

    here is a nice lecture on the Cambrian, which includes a list of the
    current thinking on "why then":
    http://www-geology.ucdavis.edu/~GEL107/Cambrian.html

    "Even so, it is not clear that oxygen, or predation, or any other single
    parameter can be identified as
    the reason for the nature, the scale, and especially the timing of the
    Cambrian explosion. One could
    argue (and people have) that the world is full of complex creatures, so
    complexity must have
    evolved sometime. Whenever it evolved, it was bound to cause a visible
    "burst" in the fossil
    record, but perhaps there was no "trigger" for the Cambrian explosion we
    see in the record. The
    first large animals evolved at that time, and it is hardly surprising that
    they spread rapidly and
    diversified into many body plans, with different groups evolving hard parts
    of different chemistry
    and structure. After the dramatic events early in the Cambrian, the
    increase in numbers and
    diversity of fossils later in the period seems anticlimactic. Cambrian
    fossil collections are not very
    complex ecologically; they are dominated by trilobites, most of which lived
    on the seafloor and
    were deposit feeders. Filtering organisms are very much secondary, and
    although there are large
    carnivores, they are represented only by anomalocarids.

    "The Cambrian explosion is spectacular, but it is not unique; in my view
    the spectacular
    diversification of the diapsid reptiles, especially the archosaurs, in the
    Late Triassic is an analogous
    case, as is the diversification of the mammals after the end of the
    dinosaurs. Such radiations stand
    out from "normal" evolutionary events just as "mass extinctions" stand out
    from the rest. On a real
    planet inhabited by real organisms, evolutionary rates are likely to vary
    in time and space, and
    evolutionary events are likely to vary in magnitude, duration, and
    frequency. We should not
    expect that ideal rules we might propose for an ideal planet would be
    followed by the natural
    world; instead, we have to find out from that natural world what the rules
    actually were. "

    For if there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing
    of life as in hoping for another and in eluding the implacable grandeur of
    this one.
    --Albert Camus

    http://www.telepath.com/susanb/