Re: YEC vs rational inquiry

From: Michael Roberts (michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: Sat Nov 08 2003 - 17:40:21 EST

    Q: How could the hundreds of types of dinosaurs-as well as all the other
    animals-ever fit on the Ark?

    A: There was plenty of room.

    First of all, we need to understand that there weren't hundreds of types of
    dinosaurs that needed to go on the Ark. It's true that when we research the
    topic of dinosaurs, and list their names-like parasaurolophus,
    pachycephalosaurus, struthiomymus, psittacosaurus, tyrannosaurus,
    allosaurus, supersaurus and so on-we'll come up with over 600 names.

    But as you research further, you'll find that different names are given to
    skeletons that look very similar, but because they're found in different
    countries, they get different names. Sometimes new names are given to just
    bits of dinosaur bones, and these bones might belong to a dinosaur already
    named!

    Also, we need to understand that just as there's great variation in dogs,
    all dogs belong to the ONE kind, so there was probably also great variation
    in dinosaurs. It seems plausible to say that there may have been as few as
    50 kinds of dinosaurs.

    There's no problem believing in the Genesis account of the Flood.

    **********************************

    Now surely this IS serious nonsense and straight off the AIG newsletter.
    What is the difference between that and the fixed earth site?

    Surely the fixed earth site and geocentrics are only a little bit more
    logically consistent than heliocentric YECs. Now even more logical than
    fixed earthers are those who are true to the literal bible and accept from
    Gen 1 , Exod 20 and Isaaih 40 that the earth is just what the Word says it
    is -FLAT! Chug-chug!

    Apparently there is a site on this on the DI megasite. Now just as IDers
    want to sit on the fence over the age of the earth, this site argues that
    the earth is a round disc but DI havent yet decided whether the disc of the
    earth is flat, concave or convex, but they dont want to make an issue out it
    as they want to keep a big tent - or firmament

    Michael.