Caring for Creation (Was Re: UK oil production lowest since 1992)

From: George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Sat Nov 08 2003 - 16:39:14 EST

    Glenn Morton wrote:

    > It started out as a stewardship of the earth issue for me about 3 years ago.
    > All I was doing was updating where things stood. Sorry if you think it
    > doesn't belong here. If others feel the same, I will cease and desist.

            This topic definitely _does_ belong here. I'm letting getting into it here
    because I've been away at a consultation on the Christianity & the environment held by
    the ELCA on the 10th anniversary of that church body's social statement "Caring for
    Creation." You can find that at www.elca.org/dcs/environment.html.

            As a member of the task force that drafted that statement I was asked to be on a
    panel to speak about the way things have changed over the past 10 years. I focussed my
    remarks on one troublesome change, the fact that _some_ (I emphasize some, not all)
    conservative Evangelicals are opposed to serious environmental protection & now are in
    positions of political power, influencing the generally bad environmental policies of
    the present US administration. I dealt with this concern in more detail in an article
    in the online Journal of Lutheran Ethics for Sept. 2003 which can be found at
    http://www.elca.org/scriptlib/dcs/jle/article.asp?aid=97 .

            This ties in with another topic we've discussed frequently here. Christian
    opposition to environmentalism is often connected with rejection of evolution & YEC
    views. When we talk (as we have here) about the dangers of those views we ought to take
    their "environmental impact" into account. In some ways that poses a more immediate
    threat than do theoretical ideas about evolution or ID.

                                                    Shalom,
                                                    George

    George L. Murphy
    gmurphy@raex.com