Re: The Iota Subscript

From: Don Winterstein (dfwinterstein@msn.com)
Date: Wed Nov 05 2003 - 04:24:47 EST

    Richard,

    I've enjoyed many of your posts, especially those on such topics as QM and the origin of life; but some of your recent responses have become strident, and that makes me fear you might soon give up and quit this forum. I don't want to see that, because overall you've made a significant contribution here IMO.

    That said, I have to acknowledge that I'm completely unable to find your discoveries about biblical geometry and numbers, or Vernon's discoveries about numbers, to be of any value for me personally. They may well be valuable for some people, but I'm not one of them.

    My most compelling reasons are different from Walt's. Curiously, they fly in the face of one of your and Vernon's main points, namely, that your discoveries strongly support letter-for-letter divine inspiration of the Bible.

    I believe the Bible was divinely inspired, but my view of inspiration is likely at an opposite pole from your view of it. Those who believe the order of the biblical writings or the details of the letters in the words are significant must hold to a "pipeline" view of inspiration, where every letter must somehow have been dictated directly by God as a boss to a secretary. Not only that, but God also had to strictly micromanage the scholars who later decided which writings to include in the canon and in what order. Such a view of interpretation would make the Bible an extreme example of divine intelligent design. And you and Vernon, I believe, are in fact claiming that's exactly what it is.

    I have a much looser view of inspiration, and I've been living with it now for so long, and it's proved so valuable to me, that it's not possible for me to go back to the pipeline view I had as a child. Some reasons: First, the biblical writings nowhere claim to be inspired letter for letter. Parts of the Pentateuch and the prophetic writings give the impression of word-for-word dictation, but most writings are not of that sort. Second, we know that the manuscripts we have today are not letter-for-letter the same as the originals. Third, the apostle Paul from time to time explicitly states that he's giving his own views rather than God's (see, e.g., 1 Cor. 7). Although I regard Paul's views there as inspired, it's unreasonable to think they're inspired letter for letter. Fourth, there are quite a few statements or descriptions in the Bible that I've come to believe are simply erroneous (e.g., 2 Peter 3:5-6). Fifth, parts of the Bible seem to include folklore and myth, albeit written up in a God-inspired way. This is not limited just to the first several chapters of Genesis. For example, how many of us believe Lot's wife really became a pillar of salt?

    In principle I should be a primary target for your discoveries, because I have a loose view of inspiration and your discoveries present evidence for a tight view of inspiration. But I'm constitutionally unable to bite.

    Perhaps the most important reason I can't bite is that I've had a close, personal relationship with God over a period of several decades, and my loose view of biblical interpretation has not gotten in the way of that relationship. On the contrary, I may be one of relatively few who have been converted away from YEC and a rigid adherence to the biblical letter not by any scientific evidence but directly through my personal relationship with God. It just became obvious that an old earth and a looser Bible were more consistent with God as I knew him than the young earth and the biblical rigidity that I grew up with. This was a very liberating conversion. It took place not in some stimulating intellectual environment inhabited by liberal theologians but in the US Army while I was a private slogging though German mud.

    For me to go back to that biblical rigidity would be a definite step backwards, and I can't do it.

    Of course I can't say for sure that God would not go to the trouble of deliberately arranging all these biblical phenomena that you and Vernon have discovered, but even if he did I'd still stick to my loose view of biblical interpretation.

    Just thought you might like for your collection one more set of reasons why your biblical discoveries aren't going to be appreciated by everyone.

    Don