Re: The Iota Subscript

From: richard@biblewheel.com
Date: Wed Nov 05 2003 - 15:15:30 EST

    Don,

    Your post is a breath of fresh air. The strident tone you rightly noted
    emerging from some of my posts is doubtless due, in part, to essential
    aspects of my character that makes me who I am, for good or for ill. But it
    also is due to a fiery passion directed through a carefully reasoned
    strategy to move this conversation away from mockery and marginalization to
    informed, respectful, and intellectually satisfying Christian discourse
    about things that matter most.

    You have stated that you can not see any value in the study of the structure
    of Scripture. I hope you have read enough of my posts to know that I fully
    respect your position and have absolutely no problem with it. In fact, I
    said as much in a recent thread called "The Body of Jesus." Simply stated,
    there are only so many hours in a day, so we must choose what we shall study
    and what we let slip by.

    But the situation with the structure of scripture is altogether different.
    People do not let it slip by, but neither do they study it, so some find
    themselves vociferously and very stridently arguing from a point of utter
    and complete (and often self-admitted) ignorance. This is a great mystery.
    Why would anyone become so abrasive over that which they know nothing?

    Your note is a beautiful counter-example to this strange phenomenon. You
    really seek to help me understand your point of view, its value in your
    Christian walk, and its origin in your relation to God. Let me return the
    favor.

    When I look at the Bible Wheel I see the Capstone of the Holy Bible, the
    very Seal of God revealed after thousands of years of development and
    guidance by the Holy Spirit. I am moved to the root of my soul, I tremble at
    His Holy Word, and every hair on my body stands like a little worshipper
    praising the great glory of its Creator. I enter into full emotional,
    artistic, poetic, intellectual, mathematical, theological, and spiritual
    ecstasy as I commune with the Lord of Creation through His infinite Word. He
    opened my eyes and sealed my intellectual soul with His Divine Knowledge.

    This is, apparently, not what you see when you look at my work.
    Specifically, you seem to think its validity necessarily implies a certain
    theory of inspiration you describe with very mechanical words like
    "pipeline", "dictation", and "micromanagement." It seems that the validity
    of my work, coupled with this theory of inspiration, has the horrendous
    effect of transforming the Living Word into an Iron Yoke that can do nothing
    but choke the life out of you. If this is the case, I would strongly
    encourage you to leave it alone.

    I have a very different view of inspiration. I think of Jesus Christ "being
    delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God ... taken, and
    by wicked hands ... crucified and slain." (Acts 2.23) How did God manage to
    predict the death of Christ? Did He dictate the prophecies? How did He
    arrange things to bring about its fulfillment with absolute certainty? Did
    He micromanage all History? These questions seem to me to be fundamentally
    equivalent to the question of how God produced the Holy Bible (which, by the
    way, contains the prophecies and their fulfillment).

    The beauty is I don't need a *theory* to explain how God predicted and
    fulfilled His Work in Christ. I have received the truth through Faith and am
    now given the witness of God's Spirit. The question of *how* God did all
    this is certainly interesting and worthy of much discussion, but I see no
    warrant whatsoever for the assertion that it allows only one (very
    mechanical) theory of inspiration.

    This is where the divine mystery really kicks in with gusto. It is plain
    that God has not preserved every letter of the Biblical text for us. To me,
    the fact that there are significant variations in the biblical text means
    that God wanted it that way. I think it is all part of His plan of salvation
    by grace through faith. If the Bible were incontrovertibly divine, where
    would grace be? It would shine like the burning sun over Death Valley. The
    perfection of Scripture has been hidden for a reason. Yet the believer knows
    it is God's Word. God designed the Bible with everything a believer needs to
    believe, and everything an unbeliever needs to not believe. This also seems
    intimiately entangled, like Walt's photons perhaps ;-), with questions of
    Divine Sovereignty and human Free Will. Very interesting stuff to discuss.

    You see Don, I live in what seems to be a very similar state of Christian
    Freedom as you do. Oddly enough, this freedom is strongly linked with the
    revelation God has given me. He has done a great work in my soul, where I
    now can see His Divine hand shining with indubitable clarity in the
    alphanumeric structures of certain (key) texts such as Gen 1.1 + John 1.1,
    Deut 6.4, Exo 20, John 1.14, Heb 4.12, but I don't see it everywhere, and so
    I can't assert that it is everywhere. Of course, having received such
    evidence for the divine design of certain texts, I am extremely cautious and
    respectful of all the text, which I diligently study in light of all
    available research. I am simply not dogmatic about what I don't know. The
    revelation of the Bible Wheel, on the other hand, seals the whole, so I do
    believe in an absolutely closed canon of 66 books, which is probably a
    position you have found no justification for. This would be another
    interesting topic I am sure.

    Some texts have no surviving variations, such as the first five verses of
    Johns Gospel. Is it a "mere coincidence" that this perfectly preserved
    passage not only speaks of the Divine Word, but is itself one of the most
    stunning of all the divine designs found in the Holy Word? This then brings
    us back to the initial post that began this thread. The reiterative
    structure of John 1.1-5 and its full translingual alphanumerically coded
    geometric integration with Genesis 1.1-5 remained hidden until the discovery
    of the smallest of letters, the Iota Subscript. It seems very odd that the
    initial post has generated a total of 15 replies, yet not one of them deals
    directly with the discovery itself. In other words, all this discussion has
    been conducted with no reference to the evidence!

    So here is the conclusion of the matter: I have received this marvelous gift
    that helps me hold the Bible in my mind's eye as God's Book, despite the
    scholastic tempest hurled at it. I never feel the slightest compunction to
    explain every apparent contradiction and variation in the text, or even to
    give a theory of how God produced it. My work feeds and satisfies my
    Christian Intellect. I would think you probably have had a similar
    experience with the semantic content of Scripture. Surely there are many key
    texts (John 3.16, I Cor 13, etc.) that shine with divine light sufficient to
    cause you to respect the whole Bible as God's Book, but since you don't see
    this divine light in every verse, you have a "loose interpetation" of the
    problematic passages. That seems fine to me, especially if the problem with
    the passage is that we aren't even sure of what it says! I would hope,
    though, that you still have a fairly "tight" interpretation of John 3.16,
    John 17.3, and Acts 4.12, to name a few.

    It appears we may hold very similar views of Scripture after all.

    Thanks again for your most excellent post Don.

    In service of Christ,
    Richard Amiel McGough
    Discover the sevenfold symmetric perfection of the Holy Bible at
    http://www.BibleWheel.com