Epicurean philosophy

From: John W Burgeson (burgytwo@juno.com)
Date: Thu Apr 25 2002 - 11:16:06 EDT

    Al:

    Back home for a few hours. Looked on my hard file for the "Consider all
    the evidence" quote. I found only the following:

    Methodological Atheism -- rule #1 of science
    -- better name is "methodological naturalism."
    -- dates back to the Epicureans, about 200 B.C.
    -- "Ascribe nothing to the gods"
    -- Necessary to avoid the "god-of-the-gaps" trap
    -- Rule #2 -- "Consider ALL the evidence." (also Epicureans)

    The place I found it suggests to me that the citation is from "Atheism,"
    by Otto Strunk, although that part is from memory, not my notes, which
    are decades old and made when I obviously did not recognize that
    citations were of sufficient importance to document. My excuse is that
    the notes were made for myself only at that time and I did not recognize
    them as particularly important. Which is not much of an excuse.

    Sorry I cannot do better.

    John Burgeson (Burgy)

    http://www.burgy.50megs.com
            (science/theology, quantum mechanics, baseball, ethics,
             humor, cars, philosophy and much more)