Re: Epicurean philosophy

From: Robert Schneider (rjschn39@bellsouth.net)
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 11:54:07 EDT

    I'm no philosopher either, but a few clarifications might be made here.

    Both Epicureanism and Stoicism had a physical world view, but concentrated
    perhaps more on ethics. For Epicurus and his follows, following Democritus,
    reality consists of matter in motion in void space. Even the soul is
    material and disintegrated upon the death of the living being. Human beings
    should not fear an afterlife of punishment--there was no realm of Hades to
    go to. Even the gods, who lived in interstellar space (anachronistic, I
    know, but close), are material and too far away to influence humans. This
    is the only life one lives, so live in a way that one achieves happiness.
    Happiness is acquainted with pleasure--not hedonism, but living simply, in
    moderation, and avoiding whatever is hurtful. Epicurus' prescription for
    living well was "cultivate your garden and stay out of politics," not all
    that bad advice for a pagan. The best source for Epicurean physics and
    ethics is Lucretius' "De rerum natura" ("On the Nature of the Universe").

    The Stoics, in my understanding, did not see matter as evil and to be
    controlled. They had a strong notion of Providence and identified god with
    the universe: there is a world soul that animates all of matter, a "Logos"
    which they identified with god. We human beings are "little logoses"
    because our souls share in the world soul. The Stoics emphasized living
    "according to nature," i.e., living in harmony with this deterministic
    universe. Happiness comes from the suppression (or control) of the emotions
    (the passions). Since all things are determined, one removes anxiety from
    life by living in accord with that truth. Moral virtue is the only good,
    and pursuing it the highest calling. Doing the best one can is all that
    matters; one should be indifferent to that things that most people pursue
    (wealth, pleasure, etc.), and accept whatever comes in life.

            I have greatly oversimplified both philosophies, and it needs to be
    pointed out that Stoicism especially underwent development at various times
    in its history. It has often been noted that the later form of Stoic ethics
    had a strong influence on some of the early Church fathers, and some have
    purported to find it in Paul, who grew up in Tarsus, a major Stoic center.
    The lists of vices in Galatians, e.g., are standard Stoic lists, and Paul
    sometimes uses a form of propositional logic (if this, then this) that
    resembles Stoic logic, though others have argued that Paul learned this from
    the rabbis. (Leander Keck maintains that in Romans Paul alternates between
    rabbinical and philosophical forms of argumentation.) Whatever the facts,
    it is true that someone in the ancient world saw such resemblences that they
    forged a series of letters between Paul and his Stoic contemporary, the
    philosopher Seneca. Pelagius has been accused of Stoic influences, but it
    that is so, he was in good company, Ambrose and others.

    Bob Schneider
    rjschn39@bellsouth.net