Re: Epicurean philosophy

From: asa-owner@lists.calvin.edu
Date: Thu Apr 25 2002 - 14:21:44 EDT

    From: "D. F. Siemens, Jr." <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>

    On Thu, 25 Apr 2002 09:16:06 -0600 John W Burgeson <burgytwo@juno.com>
    writes:
    > Al:
    >
    > Back home for a few hours. Looked on my hard file for the "Consider
    > all
    > the evidence" quote. I found only the following:
    >
    > Methodological Atheism -- rule #1 of science
    > -- better name is "methodological naturalism."
    > -- dates back to the Epicureans, about 200 B.C.
    > -- "Ascribe nothing to the gods"
    > -- Necessary to avoid the "god-of-the-gaps" trap

    I can make sense of this in connection with the Epicurean view that
    everything is atoms and the void, with falling atoms connecting and
    disconnecting in all possible combinations. Consequently, every
    combination exists someplace. This includes gods, which are merely
    combinations of atoms. So gods would not be any sort of privileged
    explanation. From my viewpoint, I have to ask what the evidence for these
    atoms is, and I have to object to the eternal fall. I also have to say
    that this seems a long stretch to methodological naturalism.
    Dave