RE: How and when did we become "men"?

From: Glenn Morton (glenn.morton@btinternet.com)
Date: Thu Apr 18 2002 - 23:02:24 EDT

    I can't find the original on this so I will use Mike's quotation of Dick,
    Dick wrote:

> [...]

    It is not entirely arbitrary. Whatever activity you choose to represent the
    existence of the image, be it art, murder, burial, religion etc, all these
    activities have a time of first appearance in the fossil record. Thus if we
    say that art is a characteristic of the image then the earliest art is
    either the Golan venus figurine from 300,000 years ago, the Olduvai
    phonolite pebble of 1.6 myr or the Makapansgat pebble of 3 million years
    ago.
    If we say altars are a requirement, then the oldest altar-looking discovery
    is at Bilzingsleben Germany from 400,000 years ago.
    If we say burial or ritual postmortem treatment of a body it is 1.4 myr ago
    at Sterkfontein, S. A.

    It isn't a case of pick a value, any value, out of the air.

    personal stories of struggle