Re: How and when did we become "men"?

From: MikeSatterlee@cs.com
Date: Thu Apr 18 2002 - 13:40:28 EDT

    Dick Fischer wrote: Australopithicines (in the ape family) became Homo
    erectus 2-3 million years ago. Apparently, there were three trips out of
    Africa, the last were modern Homo sapiens about 100,000 years ago. That's
    about as concise as I can make it. ... I would prefer to be remembered as one
    who made a contribution with a logical argument using the stuff of science,
    and resisted the temptation to speculate.

    Dick,

    Thank you for your answer. Your answer as to "when" God created the human
    race seems to be the best one that anyone can now properly give. I also
    enjoyed your comments on why you feel God chose to create Adam and Eve at the
    time that He did, during the time of the Sumerian culture.

    You also indicated that you believe that at some point, "humans became imbued
    with 'souls' capable of redemption." By saying that, were you saying that you
    believe God "created" the human race, at a time prior to His creation of
    Adam, by then giving highly evolved primates "souls" or "spirits" which were
    different from the "souls" or "spirits" of other animals? If so, how do you
    feel man is "spiritually" different from animals? Or do you?

    I have heard some say that our greater intellectual capacity, permitting us
    to have a relationship with God, is all that makes us different from animals.
    They have told me that all men do not all have eternal spirits within them
    which, unlike the spirits of animals, return to God who gave them upon our
    deaths. They say men only receive such "spirits" when we enter into a
    relationship with God. If that is the case, then it seems to me there is no
    real difference between a mentally retarded human being and a chimpanzee.

    I realize this is now more of a discussion of theology than science. And you
    have stated that you are really more of "a data and evidence guy," so you may
    choose to decline comment on these matters. ( As a public person you also
    have to be careful not to say anything that may brand you as even more of a
    "heretic" than you are already considered by many. So, if your personal
    beliefs on these matters are "unorthodox," you may want to keep them to
    yourself. I'd hate to see your message damaged by your making unnecessary
    "controversial" remarks.)

    But I'd appreciate hearing your opinion, if you are willing to give it, and
    that of others here on the "how" of God's creation of the human race prior to
    Adam, whenever that may have been. Essentially, I guess I am asking, how do
    you believe carnal man differs from animals?

    Mike