RE: Did something unique happen 8,500 years ago?

From: Shuan Rose (shuanr@boo.net)
Date: Mon Apr 15 2002 - 16:57:41 EDT

            Although I will defer to Glenn and the other experts, I am frankly
    skeptical. Jared Diamond, the writer of the Pulitzer Prize winning " Guns,
    Germs, and Steel" believed that early man was quite bloodthirsty,
    exterminating the Australian and American megafauna at the end of last ice
    age. He also believed that Homo Sapiens shoved off stage the two other
    recently surviving hominid species, Homo Neanderthalis and Homo Erectus.(I
    know that Glenn doesn't believe these were seperate species. I am going by
    the consensus view of human origins).
            OTOH, even Diamond agrees that large scale warfare began with the
    agricultural revolution and the rise of cities 8000 years ago.