RE: Did something unique happen 8,500 years ago?

From: Glenn Morton (glenn.morton@btinternet.com)
Date: Tue Apr 16 2002 - 08:09:07 EDT

    Hi Shuan,

    You wrote:
> [...]

    If I were to make a guess of the percentage of those who believe that there
    was some interbreeding with the archaics it would be 99% of anthropologists
    do, including those who are advocating the total replacement theory such as
    Chris Stringer. Those who believe the archaics left a genetic heritage in
    us probably drops to 55% with 45% holding that they did. The press seems to
    favor the bloodsport of mean mankind coming out of the south killing all.

    > OTOH, even Diamond agrees that large scale warfare began with the
    >agricultural revolution and the rise of cities 8000 years ago.>

    If he means by that armies, I agree. Only agriculture can create enough food
    to support a standing army. But warfare is part and parcel of the life of
    Amazonians and they engaged in little agriculture.

    personal stories of struggle