Did something unique happen 8,500 years ago?

From: John W Burgeson (burgytwo@juno.com)
Date: Sun Apr 14 2002 - 16:26:58 EDT

    Next Saturday we will have a speaker here in Denver, L. Robert Keck, who
    is a scholar-in-residence at the Graduate Theological Union in Berkeley.
    He is the author of Sacred Quest: The Evolution and Future of the Human
    Soul, as well as another book. His bio says he has an MDiv degree as well
    as a Ph.D..

    In the seminar, the blurb says he will show original research into issues
    of nonviolence.

    The claim that interests me is stated in two bullets:

    1. Humanity, worldwide, apparently lived nonviolently for 25,000 years.
    2. Human-human violence appeared suddenly about 8,500 years ago.

    He is endorsed by Robert Johansen, Institute for the Future, Palo Alto
    and John Cobb, Jr., Claremont School of Theology.

    Two questions:

    1. Is there any empirical evidence for the two claims above?
    2. Does anyone know about this person?

    I've been asked to help out with the seminar administrivia, which will
    cost $15 for the Friday session and $20 for the Saturday session, by
    persons of both scientific and theological integrity. But I am uneasy...
    .

    Thanks.

    Burgy