Re: cosmology & polygamy

From: Terry M. Gray (grayt@lamar.colostate.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 12:33:39 EDT

    Burgy,

    As you will recall, Ephesians 2:1-3 says: "As for you, you were dead
    in your transgressions and sins, in which you used to live when you
    followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of
    the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient.
    All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings
    of our sinful nature [Or our flesh] and following its desires and
    thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature objects of wrath."

    [Of course, this passage itself may be a "sub-Christian" reflection
    by the early Christian community...it certainly is not likely to be
    an infallible Word from God himself...I guess we have to decide for
    ourselves (in community, no doubt) based on our more informed and
    enlightened present status. (TIC)]

    The doctrine of original sin suggests that we all come into this
    world guilty and deserving of the divine wrath. There is nothing
    unjust about the judgment of a sinner (even baby sinners). There is
    also a covenantal aspect to the death of the Canaanite women and
    children. In being represented by their leaders, they deserved the
    punishment that the leaders deserved. (We're way to too
    individualistic in our present age, but we still suffer the
    consequences of being part of a corporate identity. National policies
    affect individuals who are personally far removed from the policy
    itself (taxes, waging war, ignomy of being an American, etc.)

    The mystery of salvation and grace is not why aren't some people
    saved, but why is anyone saved. Our condition prior to God's
    application of the work of Christ which is received by faith is
    "object of wrath".

    Sorry if this offends anyone's ethical sensibilities, but the first
    and foremost sensibility ought to be toward the holiness of God.
    Sinful fallen humanity is without excuse and justly deserves God's
    wrath. If he saves some along the way in his Sovereign good pleasure,
    well..."to the praise of His glorious grace."

    Finally, let me make it clear that I delight in none of this. Sin is
    bad--the consequences of sin are bad. They are all around us and it
    should make us mourn. But this is not to say that they are not
    deserved. What the scripture teaches us is that sin and its
    consequences are a disruption in the original creation and that in
    the end that original creation will be restored and consummated.

    TG

    --
    Fort Collins, Colorado  80523